Power adaptor question

I have a device which uses 9V 500mA. I am wondering if I can use a regulated switchmode 9V 2A power adaptor without damaging the device.

Reply to
ChrisW

Yes.

The current rating on power supplies is simply the maximum they can deliver without overheating, damage or shutdown. The 'device'simply takes as much current as it needs.

Same with the electricity supply to a house. It may be rated at 100A for example but you only use what's required.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes you can. The 2A rating is where it will either shutdown or start overheating and your 1/2A load will not approach the 2A so you'll be fine.

Mike

"The scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation...His religious feeling takes the form of rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals the intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection." Albert Einstein (theoretical physicist)

Reply to
Mike

I'm not entirely sure you have a 9VDC@2A wall wart adapter or another form of switchmode power supply. All switching DC wall warts are made to handle no-load condition, but many switching power supplies require a minimum load. Also, if you plug power into a jack on the device which requires a male power plug, you may have to be concerned about momentary short circuit while you're plugging it in. The old unregulated DC wall warts could handle that without problem, but switching wall warts may or may not be able to handle it. The good news is that switching wall warts usually can. But if it can't, to protect the switching power supply you might have to unplug the wall wart before you remove the plug from the device.

Whether or not the power supply can handle it, I'm sure your device will be OK.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Is this mere speculation on your part ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hi, Graham. Some switcher wall warts come with the female-type plug (fits into a center pin on the device being powered), and I've heard one reason for that is that it prevents shorting the switcher when plugging in.

But it *is* speculation on my part, and definitely shouldn't be taken without a grain of salt. The OP could easily momentarily short the wall wart output with a jumper wire, and see if the power supply survives.

I'm sure that either way, nothing will happen to the OP's device, which was his basic question. That is, assuming the switcher wall wart has the right type of plug and the polarity is correct.

Thanks for the spot, sir.

Happy Holidays Chris

Reply to
Chris