Plastic capacitor for camera flash tube?

I'd like to experiment with a camera flash tube but cannot easily obtain a proper photoflash capacitor, not even one from an old flash gun. It's not for photography and I need only a fairly low flash energy - a few microfarads worth, and the interval between flashes will generally be minutes, although it may occasionally be as short as 10 seconds. Will a plastic capacitor - like MKP or MKT type - be suitable? If so, will an AC x2 cap be more suitable than a DC cap? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dontspam

Dontspam Inscribed thus:

Go grab a used disposable camera ! If you ask one of the D&P shops nicely they might give you one for free to play with.

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Unfortunately, I don't live in a place where they give, sell or rent out disposable cameras. But you've given me an idea. I'll see if I can get my hands on an old box film camera with a flash. In any case, I'd still like to know if plastic capacitors are suitable for the purpose.

Reply to
Dontspam

where are you located?

in short, no. they're too small, unless you can get some giant film caps in metal cans. Giant means you need two hands to lift and carry the thing.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

In an isolated corner of a developing country where online shops are still mostly a joke.

Would you mind explaining the 'too small' part? I do have some film caps of a few microfarads rated up to 630VDC and some 275V AC ones. I thought the joule capacity was sufficient for what I want to do and was more concerned about the caps' ESR and their ability to withstand repeated high-current discharge.

Reply to
Dontspam

--
If you're just fooling around, any old thing you stick in there which
will stand off the charge voltage and not blow up the flash tube will

Is there anything special about your experiments which would dictate
the choice of capacitor?
Reply to
John Fields

I don't have any specific application for it at the moment but may do so in the future. A few years ago, I built a unit with ordinary Al caps for charge storage and the result was disappointing, though not really unexpected.

I suppose I could just go ahead and set up another one except for a couple of things: 1. I can't think of a simple method of measuring or estimating the efficiency of the output. The efficiency may be important for some future application and is also of academic interest to me. 2. I'd like to have some prior idea of how well the capacitor will stand up to repeated high-current discharges.

Reply to
Dontspam

"Dontspam"

** Yep, they will work fine.
** X2 caps are regularly used in party strobes etc.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A film cap will work fine. Mylars have pretty good energy density. For high-power, short-pulse flashing, it was sort of traditional to use an oil-filled paper cap at fairly high voltage, a kilovolt or so.

I used to fire military surplus coiled-tube flashtubes (used to be runway lights) at 5 KV or so from a few uF of oil cap. At 6-7 KV, they would fire without a trigger. Short linear tubes, like from a camera, will self-fire at lower voltages.

Can you use an LED instead?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That gives me a starting point. Thanks.

Not too serious at the moment, but it may become more so. I have some vague ideas floating around in my mind about possible practical applications.

Reply to
Dontspam

Thanks. I take it that that means film caps can be expected to produce better results than ordinary Al electrolytics, and that they will not degrade quickly with repeated discharges.

Reply to
Dontspam

Your local thrift store will have boxes full of old flash cameras selling for pennys. Buy a few, take them apart. Any cheap 35mm from the 1980s is ok, but look for really old polaroid cameras. They have simple, easily understood circuits.

has all the info you want on flash circuits

Reply to
bw

Thanks for your interest, but there are no thrift shops where I live, at least not the kind that sells such stuff.

Reply to
Dontspam

Late at night, by candle light, "Dontspam" penned this immortal opus:

Can you get an old microwave oven? They have a large HV cap inside.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

"Dontspam"

** There is NO comparison.

Electros of a " few microfarads " will not be suitable at all.

Their internal resistance (or ESR) is way too high.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reply to
David Eather

"David Eather"

** Complete nonsense.

An X2 cap may develop an internal short our and smoke and burn if mistreated or at the end of its life.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
That's right.

 The problem with electrolytic capacitors is that their ESR is higher
than that of film caps, causing them to heat up more than a film cap
would for the same output pulse.

Another caveat is that electrolytics can, and do fail catastrophically
when an internal short occurs between foil layers.

The foil in film caps is much thinner and if contact is made between
the film layers the foil will just vaporize, clearing the short and
"healing" the cap.

http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pdf/Papers/introduction_to_film.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

--- I have a nice assortment of polyester (Mylar) caps and if you'd email me a physical address I can send then to, and what voltages and capacitances you'd like, I'll see what I can do.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Ever connected an electrolytic capacitor revere on a 48 volt battery?

I can tel you that is gives a big bang (and a lot of dirt).

--
pim.
Reply to