Pin extraction tool

I have a Kenwood portable radio charger KVC-5A for my fire department radio. We purchased some new Kenwood radios. The new radios require a KVC-20L vehicle charger. Kenwood moved one pin on the wire plug to the charger. Rather than running a new set of cables from the battery to the charger, I want to move one pin. However, I cannot find the correct sized pin extraction tool. I purchased a 0.093 pin extraction tool. But, this Kenwood pin is larger than 0.093. The pins look like Molex pins, just a bit larger.

Is there a pin extraction tool that might be useful for a pin larger than 0.093?

We are a volunteer department and carry all our gear in our vehicles. Having a car charger lets me keep a charged battery available. This is a lat easier for me to use than carrying batteries back and forth to the desk charger in the house.

TIA

Reply to
MG

If it's not metric, chances are the pins are 0.125" diameter, so you
might be able to extract them by slipping a piece of 0.125" diameter
thin-wall tubing over the pin, pushing it down to compress the
retaining tangs on the pin barrel, and then gently pulling on (while
wiggling) the wire on the crimp side of the pin.

Something like this:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4374&step=4&showunits=inches&id=84&top_cat=0

But you can probably find what you need at a hobby shop.
Reply to
John Fields

What JF suggested will most likely work fine but for a one time job I have just used a jeweler's screwdriver. Push one side in while pulling the wire to the opposite side. Hopefully you can get the tab to stay outside the catch area while you do the other one. I have done it often so I don't know how difficult it would be for someone who hasn't done it. If you get it out, use the screwdriver to pull out the tabs a little so they latch well upon return.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Yeah, we've all been there. I've made such tools. Find the smallest clear diameter of the hole in the pin-accepting socket, make a cylinder larger than that diameter, with a slightly (like, 0.003" ) smaller-than-that-diameter hole bored down the center (this is easy iff you have a lathe...).

Reply to
whit3rd