Phone charger question

Samsung Note 4 plus Google Nexus Tablet

Have 3 wall chargers with USB port. Have only two cables that are USB micr o.

Always thought that one of my chargers is slow. NO! Turns out it is the ca ble. Battery monitor app (when it is on charge) suggests 2:15 (2h, 15m) to full charge with one cable and 5:21 (5h, 21m) with the other. The slow ca ble is a bit thinner. The above is true no matter which of the 3 chargers I use.

Now, I always thought a cable is a cable. What gives? Need to buy 2 more USB to USB micro cables. How do I know I am buying fast cables?

Any suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I think you have a bad cable.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 21:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary wrote as underneath :

No, you probably have not got a duff cable - they are not all the same - some have the outer shielding earth connected right through eg. some Apple etc. maybe also Samsung, some have a sense resistor built in to one of the data lines so that it can be recognized properly. If for a phone, ebay for a spare which is specificly for that phone, its just a safer bet otherwise buy the expensive OM one! For example most ordinary micro cables won't work with a USB3 connection though the standard says they should (though at a low data rate). They are not all the same! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Some USB cables have only 2 wires for +5 and 0. It *could* be that fast charge only happens if charger and tablet are able to talk together and agree on charge rate (using 4 wires)

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Sometimes there's a resistor network on the D+ & D- lines that "negotiate" a charging rate.

Many wall wart chargers from discount stores are completely dumb, so I assume the resistor networks "talk" to the device being charged.

There might be some info here:-

Benderthe.evilrobot

Same thing with my tablet.

The common and sundry cables you get are AWG 26 wire (American Wire Gage - smaller numbers bigger diameter - fewer dies the wire had to pass through to get smaller -bigger the diameter the more current it can carry - the more current it can carry the faster your device charges)

So get a "charging cable" they have bigger diameter wire for the plus and minus power wires - the data wires are still 26 AWG. Get something with a 24, 22, or lower AWG rating - the longer the cable the more important that becomes.

Buy cables with the charging wire size specified. Go for the smallest AWG number. 24-22 is better than 26

AND get one of those gizmos on ebay/amazon that tells you the voltage and current. Cost is ~$5 and well worth it. Two meters one for voltage and one for current or one meter that switches back and forth.

If my tablet is charging at 1.6 amps, I know it will be done fast. If it is charging at 0.2 amps (200 milliamps) I know I'm aging faster than it's charging, and I have the wrong cable.

AND they have these "dummy loads" on ebay for $1. Plug it into a USB port and it checks the charger (if you have the aforementioned gizmo) one setting is 1 amp at five volts, and the switch will make that 2 amps at five volts,

Then you are in control of the situation.

Reply to
default

Thank you Default.

Reply to