Parallel LED strings w/ constant current source

Theay are diodes, and the forward voltage drop is going to be specific to the batch of dies they are made from. So, you can pretty much guess that there will be variation between random samples from a bin of parts. Depending on the range of variation, I think a small resistor will be necessary, maybe even for devices off the same wafer.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sorry if this has been covered already; I couldn't find an exact answer in searching...

I would like to drive multiple strings of series connected LEDs (probably 3 LEDs in each string) from a constant current source (LM317). Is it safe to assume that the parallel strings will divide the current equally (i.e. 2 strings, 40 mA source, 20 mA to each string, etc...) between them? Or should I put a small resistor in series w/ each string to account for any manufacturing differences in the LEDs?

Thanks for any info/advice.

Reply to
speedytahiti

Apart from reading the sensible parts of "Why'd my LEDs pop?" under news group "aus.electronics", Id suggest strongly using small resistors, unless the cost is high, In which case you should get detailed data on the batch variations, and specs so modelling can predict chance of failure. If they are cheap, and youre only building one, then just try it without. A CRO might help examine startup currents, therefore risk of future failure. David Merrett

Reply to
Simone Merrett

Constant current sources work great if each string gets its own CC source but you'll have some problems driving the two strings with one CC source because LEDs exhibit a negative temperature coefficient (resistance decreases with increasing temperature) like many other semiconductors. You can put a stabilizing resistor in each string (like the stabilizing resistors used for paralleled BJTs) but if you must to do this you might as well dispense with the CC source and calculate a limiting resistor value for each string. Without a switching CC source (efficient) your going to waste the same amount of power either way.

Dorian

Reply to
Dorian McIntire

"Simone Merrett"

** That means completely ignoring the bizarre crapology posted by the above half wit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison