OT: Video Recording

What's the best program to use to record your PC screen as you perform various operations? **

I'm considering creating a few tutorial videos.

** I hear that camstudio is nice _EXCEPT_ it also installs lots of rogue crap ?? ...Jim Thompson

ShareX is free/open source

Have not tried it yet.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Just found this one...

...Jim Thompson

Windows Media Encoder is bullshit free. Get it from microsoft.com, but good luck locating it there. Do not get it from another site.

I have version 9 installed, not sure if they updated it or not.

You record your screen activity, then encode it to the bitrate and quality you need to share it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:12:27 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

Best thing to do is get on youtube and simply watch some "how-to" videos, and when you see one formatted the way you like, contact the maker and ask what was used to make it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Since others have already pointed to some good software, I'll add the Ninite site. It packs most known free software unbundled of crap sometimes one would find silently opted in on installers. They accept suggestions for software to add, which is great.

asdf

YEs, CNET.. Be careful....

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Sadly, Cnet is not alon. As of today all known free download sites bundle crap with software.

The only way to avoid getting the PC filled with junk is to download only from each software official site (this applies to drivers too).

...unless is the producer itself that wants to bundle junk with their stuff.

Luckily Flash is dying fast.

Reply to
asdf

Well, all WINDOWS download sites :)

A possible alternative is ninite.com (which downloads from official sites AFAIK).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Heh, Linux user since 1997 here but sometimes one is forced to use the crappy OS. Luckily a few months ago I got rid of the last native Windows install and now all windows software, when needed, run in a virtualbox machine with no access to important data. The nice side effect is that I can move a VM say from a desktop PC to a laptop to bring it around with me, backup it entirely or clone it before trying software I do not trust, etc. All stuff that Microsoft would never allow.

Reply to
asdf

It wasn't just bundled software, they were doing switch and bait tactics with the file names, trick you into installing a toolbar down loader.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Me too, since around 2001 I think.

That the way I did it too. Unfortunately I had to go to the dark side and invert that recently just so as to use a windows 3D CAD program :(

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:05:17 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Camtasia is what this guy used to make this multisim ultiboard PCB layout tutorial:

He used camtasia

Of course, you won't see this because you are an asshole who goes around calling people trolls.

The app actually costs money too, so most folks will pussy out of buying a real app as well.