OT: Skype Whiteboard / IDroo

A client wants to use Skype Whiteboard / IDroo.

Looks gruesome to do sketches with a mouse :-(

Years ago I remember a tablet by Kurta (I actually designed a chipset for it :-)

Does any such device exist today where you could use a stylus? ...Jim Thompson

A client wants to use Skype Whiteboard / IDroo.

Looks gruesome to do sketches with a mouse :-(

Years ago I remember a tablet by Kurta (I actually designed a chipset for it :-)

Does any such device exist today where you could use a stylus?

...Jim Thompson ===========================================================================

Pretty much any tablet PC uses a touchscreen and stylus instead of mouse. Usually usb ports and wifi, but no cd/dvd drive so you use an external drive if you need one, and you can plug in a usb mouse and keyboard, too, if you get tired of the stylus. Pick one with a built in camera and you are ready to skype.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

"Real" PC, 24" monitor, I'm looking for tablet-stylus-input device. ...Jim Thompson

yeah, a touch screen or digitiser tablet should just work once you connect the USB cable.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Wacom makes a whole series of drawing tablets which use styli. The Intuos line comes in three sizes. They support a whole bunch of input sensing... pressure and stylus angle, for instance... which drawing programs can translate into drawing modifiers (press harder to draw a thicker line or lay down heavier "ink", twist the pen to "airbrush" ink at a different angle, etc.).

The Wacom Cintiq line are basically Intuos-like tablets fused to LCD monitors, so you can draw right on the image you're seeing.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Thanks, Dave!

I don't need any high artistic capabilities... essentially just line drawings of schematics and schematic blocks.

So I can do without any fancy-dancy pressure/angle-of-the-dangle capability.

Is there a model for doodlers ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Quite a few.

Before buying a (used) Wacom Intuos, I had used an Apitek USB tablet that I acquired at a local hamfest. It worked tolerably well... as I recall it didn't have pen-position support, but did have pressure sensing. Its pen requires a battery (one AAA) rather than being powered by induction (or whatever trick Wacom does with theirs) but this wasn't really a problem.

Apitek seems to have their tablets OEMed by a number of companies at the lower end of the market. There are a bunch of their older models on eBay that you might want to look at (but do NOT buy a used tablet unless it comes with a working stylus/pen!!)

You might want to check out the ones that Monoprice sells. I think some of theirs were Apitek, and I've seen mention that they're carrying some rebadged Huion tablets (which isn't a brand I know anything about). Some of the simpler ones start at around $50. But, check software compatibility carefully... some of the Monoprice models don't seem to have support for more recent Microsoft operating systems.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Hello Jim, There are 100+ tablet PCs on the market. I think all can be used with a stylus, if included or not. E.g. Samsung Galaxy S, Apple iPad, Google Nexus 9, LG G pad X, etc. Take a walk thru a Best Buy. If you'd like real test results, I can send you some specific recommendations.

- Rich S.

--

***
This e-mail message is intended only for the designated recipient(s) named

Hello Jim, There are 100+ tablet PCs on the market. Many have a built-in 'webcam' for videoconferencing. I think all can be used with a stylus, if included or not. E.g. Samsung Galaxy S, Apple iPad, Google Nexus 9, LG G pad X, etc. Take a walk thru a Best Buy. If you'd like real test results, I can send you some specific recommendations.

- Rich S.

Reply to
richs

There are also many laptops and desktop monitors with touchscreen functionality, of course.

-Rich S.

Reply to
richs

If you?re just going to do it for digital writing and drawing on wh iteboard app , look into cheaper Wacom alternatives made by XP-PEN https://

. I'm an artist that uses a XP-Pen Deco 01 graphics tablet . Your hand eye co ordination most definitely sucks, I would recommend something more like a X P-PEN Artist 12 Pro come with a stylus to use on it so you can see the scre en.

Reply to
jianghe02