OT Should I terminate this input?

I'm making a better electric bike, taking ages but going well.

The first picture is the drill connection to the clutch sensor. The next two pictures are the clutch sensor. It appears to be a resistor. An object/pin presses down and slides across that C-shaped sensor when the drill clutch grip is turned.

Question: Will leaving those three wires unconnected risk some sort of floating input and waste electricity or damage the electronics?

I guess not.

Thanks.

FWIW...

On the hammer-drill setting, the resistance is over 100 K to either the red or the black wire. On the other settings, it ranges from 5K to 1K, inverted depending on whether going to the red or the black wire. In other words... Twisting the clutch causes the resistance to increase to the black wire while causing the resistance to decrease to the red wire.

The resistance remains about 5K between the red and the black wire.

Reply to
John Doe

That's NOT a clutch sensor. It's a potentiometer that sets the maximum torque (or motor current).

Yep. A variable resistor is called a potentiometer or just pot.

You can tell with an ohmmeter. See below.

Ok, the pot is a 5Kohm pot (potentiometer). However, your other measurements appear to have been made when the pot was connected to the rest of the drill. Bad idea here. Unplug the connector, and measure just the pot. Move the clutch to the drill position (maximum torque) and measure the resistance between the arm (yellow) and ends of the pot (red and black). Remove the pot and replace it with two resistors that simulate what the pot at maximum torque position.

It might help to read the patent: Note that the flow chart (Fig-4) shows a test resulting in "normal clutch" and "abnormal clutch" conditions, which implies that this thing isn't going to work until you convince the motor controller that you haven't been screwing around with the clutch.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was just trying to describe the sensor used for the clutch. I have no idea what a shop definition of "clutch sensor" is.

They were all made with the connector disconnected, the sensor disconnected from the controller.

Okay. Clearly the hammer-drill function is activated physically, not electronically, so I will use 100 K resistors to simulate the hammer-drill setting. When it's on the hammer-drill setting, the resistance increases to 100 K probably to tell the controller not to use the clutch function.

I used to think the clutch function would be cool for preventing stress. In practice, I don't want to lose power when I need it most, typically when I am stressing it. Talking about riding an electric bike among cars.

Cool, thanks.

It appears to work fine disconnected, I'm concerned about the un-terminated input thingy.

Reply to
John Doe

I can't tell from here what is happening mechanically in the clutch switch and pot. You'll have to work that out with an ohmmeter. It looks like you have the right approach. To play it safe, try to duplicate what the motor controller would see from the clutch control pot, including the 5K end to end resistance of the pot.

Ummm... I don't think your bicycle drive train will appreciate the pounding.

Well, I'm fairly sure you don't have to terminate the red and black wires. Those appear to be power and ground respectively. Only the pot arm (yellow) wire might be going to an active device that might complain. However, methinks that's unlikely. There's plenty of electrical noise and high currents floating around the drill. The designers would be nuts to use an unprotected input.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Terminating a connection is the same thing as murder. We must respect the sanctity of connections from conception to a natural death.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
default

With my current weaker drill powered bicycle, power is applied gently until the slack is taken up (until the sprocket catches up with the wheel speed). But it's doable, sort of like shifting gears in a manual transmission.

I need to put a spring in the drivetrain, someday.

Reply to
John Doe

I didn't look at the pictures. Sounds like a thing I'd wrap in electrical tape and then wire tie somewhere out of the way. (Wire tie, is that right? plastic zip ties.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Turns out...

For some strange reason, using resistors to simulate the hammerdrill setting didn't work.

But using resistors to simulate the regular drill setting (that is, after the highest clutch setting) is working great, no stalling, just power.

Something unexpected that seems to be a huge improvement is no apparent banging/slapping against the freewheel pawls when the sprocket catches up to the wheel speed, like on takeoff or anytime throttle is applied when the drill is idle. I don't really know, but.... Maybe it has to do with the different chain tensioner, or maybe to do with the brushless motor. It's weird not hearing or feeling that banging, but whatever, hopefully It's not happening silently (somehow).

John Doe  wrote:

> Jeff Liebermann  wrote:
>> John Doe  wrote:
>
>>> I used to think the clutch function would be cool for preventing
>>> stress. In practice, I don't want to lose power when I need it most,
>>> typically when I am stressing it. Talking about riding an electric
>>> bike among cars.
>>
>> Ummm... I don't think your bicycle drive train will appreciate the
>> pounding.
>
> With my current weaker drill powered bicycle, power is applied gently
> until the slack is taken up (until the sprocket catches up with the
> wheel speed). But it's doable, sort of like shifting gears in a manual
> transmission.
>
> I need to put a spring in the drivetrain, someday.
Reply to
John Doe

Dewalt DCD995 hammerdrill. Using resistors to bypass the clutch after removing the stock clutch.

V+ to ground is 5K. V+ to the input is 1K. Ground to the input is 5K.

Reply to
John Doe