OT: Non-hp Toner Cartridges

Anyone had good experience with non-hp toner cartridge replacements?

Seems hp is playing price escalation... a cartridge that was ~$75 a few years ago is now $110 :-( ...Jim Thompson

Does your HP laser cartridge have a built-in chip to prevent non-HP cartridges that don't have it being used in the laser printer? Also, many laser printers use page-counter chips to show the cartridge as being empty even when there is a fair amount of toner left in it.

I have a Samsung laser printer, and have twice refilled the cartridge with toner from partially used Brother and Kyocera cartridges. It is not too difficult, if a bit messy! Note that the Samsung has a page counter chip, but it is possible to short a couple of pins on the chip to reset it. To get round this, Samsung then rewrote the driver so it was no longer possible to reset the chip. Fortunately I never updated the driver in my laptop, even though it was pushed as a recommended update. Just another good example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

--

Jeff
Reply to

I don't know. I've not experienced any page counter issues... it'll turn on the indicator that toner is low, but keeps on printing until I've run it dry... the condition it's in now... every page requires shaking the cartridge :-[

Printer is hp P2015dn

...Jim Thompson

Check the online reviews for the exact model(s) you want. Most old ones can be refilled at least once with no obvious loss of quality. Our VH has my old HP Laserjet and usage is low enough that it lasts forever.

Mine is a Dell 1320c for colour and Samsung for monochrome. Both run very happily on third party cartridges for about 1/4 the OEM price.

Not sure how locked down modern HP printers are wrt third party toner.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I don't know. I've not experienced any page counter issues... it'll turn on the indicator that toner is low, but keeps on printing until I've run it dry... the condition it's in now... every page requires shaking the cartridge :-[

Printer is hp P2015dn

...Jim Thompson

--
Hey Jim, You have a little company down your way called, Amazon, try it for
50% cost reduction and free shipping.

Cheers, Harry
Reply to
Harry D

They carry multiple brands of non-hp toner. Which are good quality? ...Jim Thompson

I've used these guys

with excellent results on HP black toner cartridges. They will know if your cartridge has a chip or counter. My results with ink jet refills are mixed. Black is ok but color often ends up with a clogged jet or two. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Back when I used to print things I had an HP printer. It took several years to run out of toner and I bought a refilled replacement from eBay. It had a spot on the drum that put a spot on the page every four inches or so. Not fatal, but I would have liked to return it. However the seller played the high shipping cost game, $30 for the toner and $30 for shipping. I would have had to pay another $30 plus my shipping cost. This was also back when the sellers could review buyers and would hold their feedback until you gave yours like blackmail. So I had little recourse.

I didn't use eBay much back then. Now there are *lots* of free shipping sellers and the feedback is mostly in the buyer's favor so if you have a problem sellers are *much* more inclined to work with you. I've bought low priced items that weren't right and they just gave me a refund without requiring them to be shipped back.

I expect if you buy a refilled toner cartridge from eBay you will get something that works. If it doesn't you can return it and get another.

--

Rick
Reply to

Junk. When they work, they're fine. When the formatter board soldering craps out and has to be reflowed, they're a nightmare. When I have to replace the fuser roller, it's a 2 hr ordeal process. I think I have 3 or 4 printers on the shelf waiting for me to reflow the PCB's in the toaster oven:

HP 2015 Laser Printer Formatter Bake Repair (part 1) (part 2) (part 3)

I buy only the cheap toner carts on eBay and Amazon mostly for my customers (among other things, I do printer repair). The online toner carts are about 10% to 20% of the cost of a new cartridge. Batting average is about 90% which makes clone cartridges economical even with defective carts. (Hint: Always buy two carts). Quality varies. Most common problem is sometimes I get refills, where the vendor hasn't bothered to empty the cartridge waste bin. The printing will smear if it's not emptied. The good news is I usually get great service from the online vendors. I email them indicating that there's a problem with the cartridge. They usually just send me another one, and not ask for the return of the defective cartridge.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Reply to
Rick
[snip]

Apparently cleanliness is of paramount importance. My vendor offers a grabber cloth (

). To activate the cloth one grabs opposite ends with each hand and gently pulls to stretch it slightly. It then absorbs toner sort of like a paper towel in a puddle of water. Some microfiber process, no doubt, facilitates the absorption.

[snip]

Thank you for pointing out the waste hopper. I've been happily refilling carts for over a decade and never heard about a waste hopper until now.

Those instructions say that one can refill a cart about 3 times. Do you concur?

--
Don Kuenz
Reply to

I've had mine for seven years. I wouldn't even consider fixing a $200 printer. I'll probably replace it with a Brother (HP software sucks).

I buy toner cartridges from InkjetSuperstore.com. I think my last cartridge was $35.

Reply to
krw

Clever idea. However, I had a different way. I refilled my toner carts outdoors and used an air compressor to clean the insides. Note the past tense as I don't refill carts much these days. Too much work for a $15 to $30 cartridge. Add a $5 replacement "refill protection" chip, and it's not economical. I just ordered a mess of Brother TN450 clone carts at $12/ea. Anyway, my universal cleaning tool for everything is the air compressor. Before anything is dragged into my palatial office, I put it on the planter box or table outside, partially disassemble the device, blast it with about 40 psi, and then drag it inside. The result is that the office stays quite clean and only needs a dusting maybe once per year.

That's also what happened to me. I was refiling Canon 104 carts for a friend during tax season. After 2 refills, they all started dumping toner all over the insides of the printer. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, so I just Googled for refill instructions. That's when I discovered the waste bin problem. I did a post mortem on one of my refilled carts, and discovered that the waste bin was totally packed full of toner.

Of course, everything is a conspiracy. The very common Canon 104 cartridge has a rather odd design for the scrubber blade, which is what pushes the excess toner into the waste bin. Offhand, I would say that it was designed to waste as much toner as possible. Having it print 100-200 fewer pages is not a big deal on a 2000 page cartridge. However, by having the waste bin fill up as rapidly as possible, Canon limits the number of cartridge refills if the refiller doesn't know about the waste bin problem.

No. It's more complexicated than that. Some toner carts have a built in selenium drum. These are limited by scratches and gouges to the drum and wear on the scrubber blade. Most low end refillers do NOT bother with the scrubber. Hardened toner in the cartridge will eventually scratch the drum, ending its useful life.

Other designs use seperate toner carts and imaging selenium drums. The Brother TN450 slips into the DR-420 drum. The drum easily lasts the rated 12,000 pages life. The TN450 has a 2600 page yield, so the drum should be good for 4 to 5 cartridge replacement. Instead, I'm finding that it's good for about 40,000 pages or about 15 cartridges. So, what's the difference? The waste bin is NOT in intimate contact with the drum, so any debris or hardened toner inside the waste bin doesn't gouge the drum.

Gotta run... I'm late...