OT: Lead Acid Float Charger

The design I built (from a kit, into a standard Arlec 4A charger) doesn't activate the charger until it sees some voltage on the output (from the battery). I forget how it does that, but I recall it was quite a cleverly simple design. I have the schematic on paper somewhere.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Den 02/04/2016 kl. 18.57 skrev Glenn: ...

Please note that the a123systems starter battery has built-in BMS with among other Under-Voltage cutoff - but if you have some extra power drain plugged in your car - you should put yet another Under-Voltage cutoff that saves 1-30% of the starter battery capacity.

Quote: "... Smart on-board battery management system (BMS) electronics report real-time data and diagnostics to protect the battery and prevent premature failures, reducing service and warranty costs. The integrated BMS provides cell balancing and protection as well as built-in system-level safety features for under/over voltage cutoff, overcharge and over temperature protection. ..."

Oh - did I forgot to mention that LiFePO4 do not contain lead :-)

br,

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

[snip]

Since I know battery charging temperature behavior rather well (see my patents), maybe I should just roll my own with 100mA capability ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

OK...

In that case - make your own Bluetooth 4.x/BLE enabled OBD (

) (with optional IEEE

1451 support :-) , that sends an email/notification to you(r phone), when there is lower than 25% charge left.

Then you can hook up your normal charger for some hours. (send email again when charged...)

Do you have many cars, since the car battery can happen to be totally discharged?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Just two vehicles, an Infiniti Q45 and a Nissan Frontier Pick-em-up.

The car gets driven every day or three. The truck hasn't been driven since early December ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Please note that the charger tests your battery and signals if it is faulty - even when the battery is car connected. Lead-acid fails from time to time. The charger is reverse polarity protected [ idiot proof :-) ]:

Quote: "... The charger can solve a broad range of battery-related problems and is the perfect charger for those with high demands. The MUS 4.3 offers features such as battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimized charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process. ... The MUS 4.3 is a fully automatic 8-step charger that delivers selectable

0.8 A or 4.3 A to 12 V batteries from 1.2?110 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 160 Ah. The charger is splash and dust proof, designed to protect vehicle electronics and non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty. ...
  • Recondition of deep discharged batteries
  • Patented desulphation that extends the battery life ..."

-

Please note: I have no shares in CTEK - yet...

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I think it's deliberate, so you can't hurt yourself by shorting the thing - lawyers, and all that. It can be quite annoying.

Reply to
krw

Automotive power is about the glitchiest power you can find. Car electronics is quite well protected.

Reply to
krw

That's not a feature, it's a bug.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just go the solar panel route. My Moms car is a candidate, so I just ordered a 2.4W Schumacher. I'll see how that turns out, it's on the north side of the house and dosent get much sun in the winter so I might have to go back to running it once a month.

Martin Riddle

I generally avoid anything that "smells leftist", but Arizona doesn't do daylight-savings because we have enough sun already... so maybe I'll try that out ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Well, that free 1 hour of sunlight dosen't do much up here.

;D

Martin Riddle

Yeah, they left the "d" out of Aridzona.

Reply to
John S

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. BatteryMINDer gets my vote.

Reply to
Fishface

Solar cell, 750 ma float charger (walmart), remove Xfmr from wal wart and connect SC same place. Works great. Keeps em topped off and no cooking.

Reply to
Ron M.