OT: Hilarity of the day

Just got a jury duty summons in the mail.

At the bottom of the summons it says,

"FAILURE TO REPORT OR CALL MAY RESULT IN A BODY ATTACHMENT OR CONTEMPT OF COURT CHARGES"

Wonder what kind of body "attachment" they have in mind ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ankle jewellery.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Seems to mean "attach handcuffs to your body". It reads as being similar to an arrest warrant, but is used for situations of civil contempt rather than (alleged) criminal offences. It's a court process issued to the sheriff (or whomever) to take you into custody ("attaching" or "seizing" your body) and bring you before the court.

Reply to
David Platt

so is there 'proof' of delivery? simply sticking something inthe mail has not garranteed delivery of MY items!

Reply to
RobertMacy

In most western countries proof of posting is deemed to be prof of delivery (regardless of what the real fact was)

Reply to
David Eather

Nonsense. To get proof of delivery you need to have a signed receipt... signed by the person it was delivered to. It is easy to deal with these by saying you never received it, but that is *after* you are summonsed to court. Much better to respond and go through the motions. There is actually very little chance you will even need to go to the courthouse much less serve on a jury.

--

Rick
Reply to

Maybe that is why I haven't got called in years, I am never home to sign anything like that when the mail is delivered :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Sad, but very true. You are guilty even if you can prove the mail got destroyed by an a-bomb.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I learned tow things the hard way with the USPS:

  1. Insuance on an item will reimburse you the value of your package but NOT reimburse you for any exhorbitant rate the USPS charged you for a failed delivery, which since they failed to do at all, they should reimburse you. It is is my understanding that in the US it is illegal to charge for a service NOT performed, in this case delivery of a package not performed and lost.
  2. USPS records suck beyond belief! I once received an "attempted delivery" of an insured package tag with almost NO information on the tag. Went to the USPS to pick it up, they could not find it. Went total of three times and never found it. Ok, look up the record of the insurance tag? No, just contact the sender and let them know you did not receive it, but wait, cannot because not expecting a package and no information on the tag and no idea who sent it, so USPS go through YOUR records and find who sent it, USPS: can't do that! So culmination was a possible personal item sent insured [a gift to someone returned as a subsequence of their death by their executor who we have NO contact information for !!!] [Note that possible scenario was gleaned from one cryptic word on the 'attempted delivery' tag, the maiden family name of the deceased, which also read like the name of a city, so don't know!] Culmination, never found, and the sender probably believes everything is copacetic. Why can't contact? executor guy's a billionaire and reclusive so there was no previous contact and therefore can't start now. The item? wedding gift, a custom, hand blown glass bowl miniature replication of another item, consigned and purchased on the island of Morano while traveling to Europe and looking for an outstanding gift back in the 70's. sigh.]
Reply to
RobertMacy

*IF* you signed when you received your citation, then thereafter ALL is upon you to sort it out, mailing notice is a 'courtesy'.

However, *IF* something is mailed to you WITHOUT proof of delivery, and that is the only way you can find out, the burden of proof is back on the sender.

So, if a ticket [citation] for driving on a pulled licence was signed for, they HAVE the proof you know about the problem. Again, mailing a notice is only a courtesy.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Go.

Really, there is a reason for juries. You are to judge botgh fact and law. If you believe the law unjust you can acquit. If you believe its application results in a miscarriage of justice you can acquit. They won't tell you that, but that is fact.

Reply to
jurb6006

And if you do, make sure to tell your daughter the prosecutor -- that'll make her day.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

My son-in-law was a prosecutor, now a judge... he's very aware of jury nullification. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If you received a citation, then you have already received notice to appear in court and there is no need for anything in the mail.

When you are pulled over and told that your license is suspended, you are being told for the first time and there is no violation. Try to keep up with the facts.

--

Rick
Reply to

notice the 'if'

Reply to
RobertMacy

No.

That is *not* true. "certified mail, return receipt requested". only gives confirmation of delivery. It does does not prove to a third party that a specific document was delivered.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

That is the proof they're looking for. Sheesh!

Reply to
krw

While its true that no one knows what's really in the envelope, the Post Office knows that YOU sent it and knows who signed for it.

The courts will work it out later.

Reply to
hamilton

Furthermore, and more important, there is ZERO indication as what, exactly was delivered (eg:"dear John", "Notice to vacate", etc).

Reply to
Robert Baer

..with the "He said..She said" fracas.

Reply to