OT: HDMI Wireless

Anyone have experience/recommendations for wireless ways to distribute HDMI to multiple TV sets? ...Jim Thompson

I haven't tried it yet, but many newer sets have WiDi which is HDMI over WiFi. It may require Windows 8. I think my laptop has it, but I don't have a TV, so I haven't tried it. I'm going to a friend's house today, maybe I'll try it there.

--

Rick
Reply to

I would buy a single HTPC "Home Theater PC" for each display, then, they could all each have their own individually controlled/chosen stream. Use a wifi router with an NAS attached or a wifi NAS.

Then, you can also "fill up" the NAS "multimedia server" from any of various sources as well.

The Single PCs could be an ARM processed machine running Android and KODI, or Debian and KODI or "OpenELEC and KODI. KODI is a home theater interface app. It used to be XBMC. It will run under Windows, but Windows costs money and reduces security.

The rooted Android version is a common route. Indestructible on ARM devices, for the most part.

These are nice:

Or at about $300 each, you could get a real, intel based PC at each location, such as:

Black/dp/B00CO2Z854

Way more expensive per display, but far more versatile. They are each a PC at that point, and you can use them for room appliance control, etc. They usually come with Windows, as you can tell from the price.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Look at the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT. I have not tried it yet but giving it serious consideration.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

That allows you to pipe one single HDMI source only stream over a proprietary wireless link to one receiver. Additional receivers are nearly $200 each too. Not very flexible.

My idea uses standard industry networking technology (wifi) and each node is as cheap as $135.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The Rpi sucks at full HD streaming playback, however.

There are severeal other subpar elements of that OLD design as well.

And the cubox does it at less than 5 watts fully pushed.

Ooops.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Actually, many Blu-ray players now come with wired or WiFi network connections; aren't they a lot less than $135?

Reply to
whit3rd

Though watch out. My found on the sidewalk blu0ray player has ethernet and USB, but the manual claims it can be only used with the company's USB wifi adapter. I suspect that's not completely true, but probably is limited to whatever uses the same driver as the company's unit. So if it doesn't have built in wifi, one may have to pay the price for their wifi adapter.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Have you tried it yet? ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:38:51 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio Gave us:

Yes but rpi does NOT do 1080 HDMI very good... if at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:47:54 -0800 (PST), whit3rd Gave us:

They pump the disc playback, not your desired source.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not true, they support TCP/IP streaming downloads. Serving up a suitable source, of course, may be a small matter of software... see, for instance,

Reply to
whit3rd