OT: Goodbye to the American Dream

These things are cheaper now than they ever have been. Salaries have been stagnant, or declining for a couple of decades, though. The Democrats want them lower yet. They're succeeding.

BTW, my wife never had to work but did for ~25 years. Work is good, but that's another thing the Democrats want to end.

Reply to
krw

I didn't exist in 1950, but a lot of these items were available at higher costs than now.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's all good. "Last year, (2013) 50 percent of all American workers made less than $28,031, and 39 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000. Read more at;

More than 1/2 of the earners do not earn like you.

Mikek

amdx

Half the people spend more than they make and that ratio doesn't change much with income.

Reply to
krw

My point is, most homes in the 1950's did not have all those items. They weren't a normal household expense like they are now. Mikek

amdx

Certainly not things that didn't exist, but I have been in older homes that had some of them. Some were built in the 1920s, and had things you wouldn't expect. :)

This place was built in 1964, but has been updated several times. I added the motion sensors when I bought it, because my dad was to stay with me for a while and he has a bad hip. I didn't want him falling, in the dark while he fumbled with a light switch. The hallway lights are also on motion sensors, rather than a switch by every doorway. That is very handy when you wake in the middle of the night and have to stumble to the bathroom. It was well worth the $15. That one has been in use for 16 years, now. Just because you want a few non essentials isn't bad, as long as you are wasting a lot of money on them. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just ran across this.

"Statistics show the average American home size has nearly tripled since the 1950s. Back then, a single family home averaged just 983 square feet. Today, it's 2,624. At the same time, the average size household has shrunk from around 3.5 people to around 2.5. Granted, people are bigger these days, but I'm guessing we don't need an extra 1,641 square feet for our girth alone."

Mikek

amdx

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:35:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Hopefully you were smart enough to upgrade all the bulbs to LED by now. The electrical usage savings alone would have amortized the cost of much of it within a couple years and they last forever and provide a better 'color' light for far lower consumption.

Probably not though, since 'consumption' is what got your brain.

You probably would not have gotten such a payback, had you not pulled the shit you pulled with me over the years.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't need more space, it would just cost more to Cool it. :)

The house is 1,537 square feet.

My garage is a stand alone structure of 1,200 square feet.

My storage building is 504 square feet.

The laundry building and tool shed are each 144 square feet.

A one bedroom cottage behind the house is 288 square feet.

That is a total of 3817 square feet, and I live by myself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:17:44 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

No surprise there.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Hmm, we have over 3,600 (plus over 2,000 unfinished) for two people. Thirty years ago we had 1,200 for the three of us. I guess that is some inflation (though we paid about the same per square foot with very different dollars).

Reply to
krw

It's not just thanks to Obama. And it's worse than just losing the American dream. There is a distinct possibility that our civilization is going to collapse within 50 years or so. No more partisan politics. We're likely to take much of the rest of the world with us too, so spectators shouldn't be cheering. It's going to be a horrible place to die in.

Reply to
John Doe

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 08:25:30 +0000 (UTC), John Doe Gave us:

Maybe you should watch the TV series "Mr. Robot".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Who exactly is "we"? Which civilization is "ours" that there will be someone else watching?

--

Rick
Reply to