OT computer question

I have DSL with a modem supplied by my telco. It has four ethernet ports on it. If I want to add wi-fi. Can I just get some kind of gizmo (and what is it called) plug that into one port and be good to go for providing a wireless connection to a stand alone internet radio.

Telco will do it, but they charge to set it up and charge "rental" on the dsl/wifi gateway for as long as I have it.

Reply to
default

Do you mean a Wireless Access Point? The tech at your local computer shop can probably advise you on what's available locally.

Reply to
Randy Day

Most wireless routers can be setup as wireless access points. Check the manuals on some inexpensive wireless routers and get one that can be configured as an AP which you then simply plug into the existing router.

Reply to
news

Access point? I want to transmit a wireless signal not access one that's already there. Is there no single box that takes a ethernet cable at one end and has an antenna at the other?

Reply to
default

I understood what you asked. Now you need to understand the terminology.

A wireless access point is the "ethernet cable to antenna" device. It connects a wireless device to an existing wired router.

Configuring a wireless router to serve as an AP is cheaper than buying a purpose-made AP device.

Reply to
news

In article , default says... [snip]

A WAP *creates* wireless access in an area. It's a transceiver that creates a wi-fi hot-spot for your internet radio.

As with any wireless, read the manual and secure your connection, otherwise your neighbors and passers-by get free internet!

Reply to
Randy Day

Ah, that's better. Think transceivers instead of the direction I want the data to go in.

Thank you

Reply to
default

Just get a WiFi wireless router box and plug it into one of the ports on the modem. I use a Cisco/Linksys thing from Best Buy, works fine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You mean you have a PC that does not have a WiFi modem in it? Is that the problem? If so, yes, you can get a USB WiFi modem.

If you are trying to create a server on a PC/Laptop, that is a programming issue on the PC/Laptop but, it'll do it if the unit is equipped with a Wifi modem.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Now I know what you're talking about..

Yes. You can get a router that has a WIfi modem in it and it can act as a switch. The router has a WLAN port on it where you plug into the main port of the DSL modem that was given to you.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

The Linksys WRT54G is the one I'm looking at. Price is down ~$50 and I don't need "n" speed.

What model did you get?

Reply to
default

Yes. It's called a "router".

Reply to
fungus

E2000. It's a couple of years old but Amazon still sells them.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

DSL modems have only one ethernet port, if it has several it's a modem router.

With a modem router you only need a wireless access point. but you can use a wireless router instead if you want just ignore the WAN port and turn off the DHCP feature and connect one of the wireless router's LAN ports to a LAN port on the modem router.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts