OT: $15/hour minimum wage coming to Seattle

That is right, If I need money, I would work for whatever wage and whatever job I could get. That is why I stayed on for about the last 5 years I worked. When I retired, I did not need the money so did not work for what I was offered.

The plant I worked at was paying in the top 5 in the county when I went to work for unskilled labor. They had to pay that because the plant required working rotating shifts and weekends. At that time jobs could be found many places. They would hire about 20 people at a time ( there were about 2500 hourly workers in the plant) and in 2 months there might be 3 or 4 of them left. It was a very good place to work except for the hours. Times got tough in the last 20 years and the plant even gave a 10% pay cut about that time. The only reason most of the people that were left (only about 400 people on site instead of over 2500 ) are still there is they only have a few years to retirement or they can not find a job anywhere else.

Lets say that doctors or lawyers could be found every where, their pay would drop. Do you remember when you could get the doctors to come to the house for a few dollars (which is probably near an office visit is now) ? The medical schools for doctors and nurses only let so many in now. That keeps the supply down so the demand is up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I got some details wrong.

"We were never interviewed for these articles and we did not close our ... location due to the new minimum wage," ... "There's going to be restaurants in Seattle," Anton added. "It's just going to be different, and that's OK." ... As it stands now, the claim that these restaurants closed over the minimum-wage issue is false.

Reply to
jfeng

I guess I know a little bit more than you do what it is like to feel financially desperate. There are situations when I would take any work I could. I am far from that situation now, but when I was a kid, trying to get through school it was different. Even that was nothing like what some people face.

You just can't imagine that if you didn't take the low paying expert work you might lose your home or your car or not be able to pay for a surgery that would extend your life. Money in the future is worth a whole lot less than money right now. Sometimes there is no comparison.

Interesting how you keep saying you would nurture your high end work no matter what. But when I make my point to veer off topic. I still say you just can't imagine needing work so badly that you would take low pay. If your mortgage needed to be paid, or worse, your rent, and that was the only way to do it...

What does that mean? I offered him $15 an hour more than anyone else was doing and more than $5 an hour more for yard work than he could get anywhere else (probably $10 an hour more). The point is that his desire for higher pay for different work was not valid in the context of not being able to get work at any wage.

--

Rick
Reply to

It's an artificially constrained market - a government created monopoly.

Reply to
krw

No, you're simply proving what a stupid lefty you are.

Reply to
krw

Nothing either of us just said speaks to whether or not we have ideas about how government should work. You just don't listen. You're so kind to yourselves, you take the label "liberal" which means free-thinking when you don't have any interest in opposing ideas. You are the Democratic Senators who expressed surprise at their hearing where they learned the banning of DDT led to the deaths of tens of millions in Africa, when Conservatives had been talking about it for 15 years. You are the people who keep saying Conservatives don't have any ideas about heath care because you don't want to read anything they write. You are the Bill Moyers World of Ideas interview show in which he presents a "world" that never has an idea he disagrees with. You're a bunch of closed-minded dogmatists who make tedious claims of intellectual superiority, without ever learning about the philosophical roots of your own beliefs and how they match Stalin's.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Funny you say this. I have not once identified myself as a "liberal". Please show me where I have. It is you who likes to put labels on people and then attack the labels.

Then you confuse your own label "liberal" and confuse it with a political party, Democrat. They really aren't synonymous except in your mind.

I have read very little here from the conservatives in *any* regard to how they would solve any problems other than the ones they imagine.

Please show me these claims that I have made. Again, you paint me with the "liberal" brush and then convict me of others' crimes.

--

Rick
Reply to

--
Letting the market work without restraint is akin to not damming a
river or using a bang-bang comparator when an opamp with feedback

dams prevent floods. op-amps with feedback often oscillate.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

McDonald's is hurting and begging for business. I get coupons on the back of grocery store receipts for any 2 MDs sandwichs at the price of one. So, I get the breakfast special of 2 sausage burritos for a $1.19 , or 60 cents each.

Bill Bowden

--
So you just don't get it?
Reply to

Well, since the government has already f***ed our economy by creating TRILLIONS of dollars out of thin air, who should give a shit anyway? Make the minimum wage $1,000 per hour as there is more than enough money fabricated to support that. Would not make dent in "employment" or "economy".

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
So you don't get it either?