Orange super-bright LEDs

Not being in the manufacture of leds I can only offer opinions.

It is my opinion that pure colors (one and only one narrow wavelength) are much more pleasing than bastard colors like pinks and greens made with multiple dopants and fluorescent or phosphorescent secondary emitters.

AND absolutely no one seems able to make a good amber LED.

Reply to
default

A research topic that could earn you a Ph.D? :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Define "good", there are hundreds listed on digikey. I bought some cree through hole ones a few years ago..

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Talk to photographers and camera-men? :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Wavelength - what they like to call amber is really yellow.

Reply to
default

Have you been to the digikey site? They list led's by wavelength too. What wavelength do you want?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

620 mounted in a 1157 auto lamp replacement.
Reply to
default

Oh and you want it to run from 12V automotive power too, I assume. I'd try an automotive place then.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Did.

First set were too whimpy (wimpy) to trust my life to. Not nearly bright enough compared to incandescent. And still yellow.

Second set were dimmer than incandescent, but marginally safe, but still yellow and too close to headlights on low battery voltage.

Now Osram does make some that look like they could do the job, but at

2 bucks each, and dealing with surface mount parts, and 3 Watts means serious mounting and heatsinking. I don't want to redesign the whole front end of my truck - just replace the amber 1157's with leds...
Reply to
default

Hey, green is for transportation lighting, not simply 'bastard coloring' !

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Well, monochromatic light means your eyes' lenses aren't making blurs at the edges when you focus. Aside from the red/blue boundary causing you to get eyestrain trying to resolve, though, those 'pure' colors cause dreadful illumination artifacts. An item bought under artificial light ought NOT to have an entirely different color when seen in daylight.

Few-hours-from-noon sunlight is the "white" to aim for, and it's HARD to do.

Reply to
whit3rd

Jim Thompson wrote on 11/26/2016 4:52 PM:

Lol! Takes one to know one!

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

John Larkin wrote on 11/28/2016 12:43 PM:

I'm not familiar with this. What is D?