NPN Transistor Question

Yep, I double-checked, that was 1952.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

While I was still in high school my father became a Raytheon wholesaler. I first saw that little blue blob ~1955 and it caused me to switch my education aims from architecture to electronics.

Previously, though raised in a radio & TV repair shop, and I built several toob amplifiers, toobs as a point of study turned me off. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Beta is 12 typ, no Ft specified.

My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to transistors, because transistors were too easy to blow up. He said "that won't do" and ended the interview.

Next guy, I said the same thing. He laughed and hired me, and I designed about $200e6 worth of stuff for him. He also told me that some day a transistor inside an IC would cost ONE CENT. I thought he was crazy.

 Click to see the full signature

If "readily available" means "I can buy one retail any sunday afternnon" the 2N2222A is about as good as all the others, Ft 300MHz.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

You might be thinking of PN2222A; the metal-case transistors are ALL hard to find retail, nowadays. Or, they cost about a buck, in thousands. PN2222A runs almost four cents.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ahhh... flower power instead of sand power.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I remember when the price went down to around $12 each,i bought one for experimentation.

Reply to
Robert Baer

1947? are you nuts? Old re-hashed stuff. Julius Edgar Lilienfeld was awarded patent 1,745,175 on Jan28, 1930 for a transistor that he invented and reduced to a repeatable practice. This is not his only patent in the field; try 1,877,140 granted Sep 13, 1932 and 1,900,010 granted Mar 7, 1933. NPPN, PNNP and varicaps as well. He clearly knew what he was doing.

Gotta wait until Oct 3, 1950 before another group of 3 patents (same day, same title)...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 02:24:22 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Get off your high horse, chump.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Really? I thought the whole point of the 2N2222 was because as a metal cased device, it had somewhat better power handling capability. It seemed to take over from where the 2N706 left off, that was a popular device in radio circles in the sixties.

If it's only got a plastic case, surely lots of other common plastic cased transistors are just as good.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

There's the classic QST article in the mid-fifties, an introduction to transistors. And it comes right out and says "they can't amount to much, if nothing else, they don't work at high frequencies".

I'm paraphrasing, but I heard about the article long before I read it. And it really did say something along those lines.

I'm finding it quite amazing now to read about multiband transistor portables that were out in the late fifties, I assumed that sort of thing didn't arrive till the sixties. A lot of those early transistor shortwave radios were junk, but there was the National HRO-500 in 1964 that's considered an expensive classic.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Sure. The TO-92 package is going away, but you can still get 2N3904s for cheap.

Recently I bought several thousand assorted TO-92 transistors and diodes, and DIP ICs, probably two careers worth. It was only a couple of hundred bucks, and it means I can still build HF/VHF prototypes really fast for the foreseeable future. (And so probably can my remote posterity.) ;)

MBD301

1N5819

J310

MPSA18 MPSA14 MPSA64 MPSH11 MPSA92 MPS4250

2N5087 2N5089 PN2907 2N4403 2N4401 PN5179 MPS918 2N3904 2N3906 2N6517 2N6520

Any other suggestions before the old classics are all gone?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, and ignore the 20 YEARS EARLIER patentS?

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • AS i vaguely remember, the bandwidth-extending trick (borrowed from tube circuits) of neutralization was used.
Reply to
Robert Baer

[snip]
[snip]

Yep. In the late '50's I had an AM radio that used CK760's in the IF. The IF transformers had an extra winding feeding back thru a capacitor to the transistor base to "neutralize". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 06:46:07 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

I had a "Wilco" that fit in the palm of your hand. (mine too).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

hmm, only 6 readily available. :-/

--