Non-metalic NEMA box--Observatory

My observatory story continues. I've been getting some tips from a guy in Hawaii about how to proceed over the last 4 months. I finally decided to hire him to build some of the components in HI. He will then ship them to me, and I will do the installation, perhaps with an aid of a licensed electrician.

Right now I'm buy the parts that he will need. He needs two NEMA non-metallic boxes that are about 2'x2'x8". Ideally, it would be good if I could find a place in HI that carries them. That we reduce shipment there. This morning I've called Grainger, ZORO, Graybar, and some suppliers in HI. Haven't tried Platt.

So far the biggest box anyone can come up with is 18"x12"x8.7". Some ofthese boxes are selling at around $1000. Strangely, ZORO's is around $200-250. I guess my inexperience is at play here. I need to call the fellow to get some better details what he's after, and why that 2'x2'x8" request seems out of the cards.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this msg out to the group for comments. $1000!???

Strangely, when I decided to hire the guy, I found two more people like him that do observatory work. I'm sticking with HI though. They all do high quality work.

Reply to
W. eWatson

That is a strange size. The cost not only depends on the size but the NEMA class. Ask him what class he needs and to explain that size.

Automation Direct has a good supply of enclosures.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hammond makes a wide selection of NEMA boxes:

Why not ask him to get the boxes? He knows what sizes he can work with, and what suppliers are available there.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

Tried Hoffman?

 Click to see the full signature

For boxes? Never heard of them.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Presumably I will save money--mainland vs HI, shipping and maybe generally higher prices there. Possibly cut down on his time searching for them. I actually I called four suppliers on Hawaii this morning, and none had any size close to it. I found ZORO has 18"x18"x9". I just sent him a msg about that. Maybe 3 boxes 18"-ers !!!

Reply to
W. eWatson

No wonder you ask a lot of questions ;-)

Or if thats too long Google Google Google Hoffman Boxes

--
John G
Reply to

"NEMA" is kind of meaningless on its own like that.

how non-metallic does it need to be?

Is an ABS box with stainless fasteners even acceptable?

Will a 12U 19" rack cabinet a glass front (metal sides and open back) work?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

How is "National Electrical Manufacturers Association" meaningless?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

a NEMA enclosure has no meaning by itself. NEMA has more than one specification for one box, if you weren't aware.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

You're kidding!

What an idiot. His description was adaqute for anyone who has done industrial electrical work. I always needed steel boxes because of RF. They are quite common at AM radio stations for the antenna tuner cabinets, and tower light controls. I still have a few used ones, somewhere in the shop.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He wants a NEMA non-metallic, and would prefer a "window". If not a window then a door with latches.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I discovered via Wikipedia that there are about 11 types of NEMA boxes. I think type 1 is sufficient.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Thanks. That looks worthwhile. I sent them a question about larger boxes.

Reply to
W. eWatson

The builder tells me he can get by with an 18x18x9, but trouble shooting it might be a problem. In any case, the Hoffman suggestion above looks promising.

Reply to
W. eWatson