no cd drive

I have a PSpice program on cd that I want to load on my netbook, which doesn't have a cd drive. This netbook runs on xp. I don't want to buy an outboard cd drive just for this one thing. Is there some way to load the program on another computer and transfer to the netbook through a serial cable or usb?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

I wonder if I could copy the cd contents onto a flash drive. Would it work for an install cd?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Copy the entire contents of the CD (with the directory structure) to a thumb drive / memory stick and install from there. This might fail if the publisher used some forms of copy protection but it's worth a shot.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

  1. Share the CD drive on another computer on the same network (right click on the drive, select Sharing and Security, clikc "If you understand", click "Share this folder on the network", choose a share name, click OK).
  2. Connect to that drive over the network. ( Right click My Network Places, select Map Network Drive, click Browse and look for the name you shared in step 1, click Finish).
  3. Use the new drive (usually Z) as the CD drive on your computer.

John

Reply to
news

The program was already loaded in my other laptop and I just drag-and-dropped it to a flash drive, and waited for it to finish copying. The netbook I want to put it on seems to have a partitioned hard drive. There's a C: drive and a D: drive. The D: drive has nothing on it. Should I drop the program on the C: drive and leave D: empty?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

In Windows, most programs cannot be successfully installed on another computer simply by copying the obvious files from a working installation - the "proper" installation process usually makes registry entries and copies dll files and other things to mysterious locations.

Either copy the install CD to a USB memory stick, or make the CD drive on another computer shareable over the network, and install from there.

You can probably install the program on either drive, if it has sufficient space.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Got it, finally. Had to copy the cd to a flash drive. Plugged it into the netbook. Found the install file and clicked on that.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Copy the source media to the D: drive - it's for data, which the source media is until you run its setup program.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise