new to electronics n needing advice

I'm new to electronics n barely computer literate so if i ask a stupid question please consider this.I'm starting computer classes soon n i'm told I need to learn basic electronics,any advice for someone who has been a driver for 18 years?Which books to read or general help.thx

Reply to
ken

Hello Ken,

Horowitz, Hill: "The Art of Electronics". Absolutely "the" book. If you look around you could probably find it around $50. Worth every penny.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Look for the "Art of Electronics" (search with quote marks) on

Prices start at ~$5 for a soft cover edition, or check it out of a library.

Another just the raw facts without a lot of fluff are the NEETS books. (Naval Electrical Engineering Training Series) Search on line - it is free to download.

default

Well, it seems they have sold the rights to someone else. The PDF files and the CD-ROMs cost money, as far as I can tell.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Hmm. After a little more searching, I think I found some free versions. It was just the TPUBS site that was charging for anything other than web access.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Jon, I didn't see any sites that don't link back to TPUBS, where you can only get it for free one page at a time. Do you have a link? I sort of have the feeling that I've already paid for this stuff once.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

They've closed off the web 'front door' but you can still sidle in through the back way. What happened to the policy that if the taxpayers paid for it then it was free to the public? More of the Bush/Cheney doctrine of screw you, we're your masters?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Nice backdoor !!!!!! 54 megabyte filled with yewels.

Sjouke Burry

Yup, that's the place. However, the link for module 15 is broken. Just edit out the comma and it works just fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

This was started earlier than this administration, though I'm sure this one is fully congruent with the idea. I believe this goes as far back as Reagan and this administration's father.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I mailed it to the page owner(and thank you)

Sjouke.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You could go through the front door a few months ago IIRC.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I was referring to your comment, "What happened to the policy that if the taxpayers paid for it then it was free to the public?" The idea that private business handle the "publication" of gov't documents for fees that seem pretty close to "commercial profitability" levels seemed to originate under Reagan. I had been getting documents from the US government publishing house, before Reagan, for fees that were ... generous. It was clearly just covering non-profit costs of printing and some were actually free. Then I gradually saw more and more of those publications _only_ available through some single, solely authorized private publisher and the fees were ... very steep ... for the same documents. And you couldn't get them elsewhere.

I didn't know anything, though, about this set from the Navy.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yes. Part of the kleptocratising of America.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Bingo! Thanks.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

So, how do you feel about the SmithsonianShowtime deal? 6 million dollars gives them "exclusive" rights to the Smithsonian archives for

30 years

"The latest criticism follows a month of public debate over partnerships the Smithsonian made with commercial businesses and the change in policy about access to its archives. In a resolution passed by the historical group's executive board yesterday, the society raised questions about the deal with Showtime Networks to create a series of 100 programs a year based on the Smithsonian collections and experts. But the historians also raised questions about a second contract, this one a publishing pact with HarperCollins."

Why is a government supported entity like the Smithsonian able to make deals in the first place?

From a blog on the same topic: May 26, 2006

Smithsonian Sells Archive To CBS For $6 Million Why is that not the headline for any of the stories about the Smithsonian's exclusive TV programming deal with Showtime?

Or how about the MPAA's new international branch trying to get the EU and UN to go along with the concept: if a commercial station (net outlet, publisher, etc.) broadcasts anything (in the public domain or not) They automatically assume legal rights to the information?

No links or references just something I read about several months ago.

default

In general, I feel pretty badly about anything that tends to remove access to public knowledge and public patents from those without resources or means. But I'll put this comment in a little personal context.

I grew up poor at a time when the welfare system was close to nil (check your history and look at the system and you will see that spending didn't even _start_ to change from close to nil until the late 1960's), no loaves and fishes, etc. No dental care, no medical care, and I worked the berry and vegetable fields for some cash and also mowed lawns (when others owned mowers and were willing.) I lived in homes without walls and actually would go into grocery stores to 'beg' for things like dried bread they couldn't otherwise sell. (I always had to buy my own milk, though.) I cannot begin to tell you how long it took me to earn enough to buy my first bicycle -- but I can tell you that I remember my trials very vividly to this day. My school was 'okay' as schools go, though the teachers were (with only one good exception) pretty typical in their skills and abilities. What little I was able to do for myself, during this time, came to me because I was to get access to the library system within our area and at the local university (I used both systems a lot as a child.)

When everything else in a society fails or is otherwise unable to provide direct help, the library system is one of the few saving graces for those willing to work to better themselves. And I see these other sources of publicly funded information similarly. It needs to be as available as possible to those in lesser circumstances in their lives. And while just paying for basic printing costs may be acceptable (it's really not for someone truly poor, but it is still an understandable situation because otherwise folks might just order the documents to help stoke their fireplaces), pricing it as too often happens now simply places this information beyond the reach of those struggling to better their circumstances in an honest and earnest personal struggle. I think there is a lot of good done by providing the widest possible access to publicly funded research, science, teaching tools, and so on.

So I don't like much of the direction I've seen things go.

Jon

P.S. I think it was under Reagan that universities were able to start using their patents as privately-owned resources, rather than public, and to start selling them. Not sure, but that is my recollection. And it hurt access to the better minds at univerities, as some gradually (from seeing others taking advantage) began to threaten their own university with a complete separation of ties unless it would license their publicly funded patents to themselves in their own businesses, etc. Similarly, universities saw profit potentials of their own, of course.

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

It was also under Reagan that the tax laws for publishers were changed so that unsold copies became a liability at the end of the tax year. Suddenly it was more profitable for publishers to destroy books than hold onto them, and titles started going out of print much sooner. I guess Reagan was grooming all the young to become future illiterati voters....

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

You mean it was under the Democratic Congress during Reagan's term that the tax law was changed. Literate voters know that executives don't make laws.

Executives can set policy for charging fees in some of the cited cases. It was also under Reagan that the Coast Guard started charging a fee to tow disabled yachts back to port. Oh, wait, but you all would agree with that one. Government usually doesn't make fine distinctions.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

I have trouble making a distinction between Republicans, Democrats, Oligarchs, or Facists

default