Need Voltage Doubler Circuit

"Mike Silva

Are we sure about that?

** Yes - so f*ck off.

Only one-half of the capacitor stack is charged each half cycle, but both capacitors are discharging each half cycle.

** So what - s*****ad ???

Ripple voltage depends on cap value, so can be made as small as you like.

Which brings up a circuit I ran across years ago and was able to find again yesterday. This one claims to charge both capacitors each half cycle, making it a true full-wave circuit. I haven't tried it or analysed it - I just put it out for consideration.

** The claims made are complete BOLLOCKS.

A "standard voltage doubler" generates 120 Hz ( or 100Hz ) ripple and utilises the transformer just as fully as a bridge rectifier.

The page was written by a ham -

so you KNOW it is TOTAL SHIT !!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Should I regulate the output? How about a voltage regulator IC like the LM317?

Reply to
Dave.H

I don't know why anyone could need anything that's not here:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are we sure about that? Only one-half of the capacitor stack is charged each half cycle, but both capacitors are discharging each half cycle.

Which brings up a circuit I ran across years ago and was able to find again yesterday. This one claims to charge both capacitors each half cycle, making it a true full-wave circuit. I haven't tried it or analysed it - I just put it out for consideration.

Two of those diodes are superfluous, and otherwise it is a standard dual output voltage doubler, similar to what I posted with an LTspice ASCII schematic. If your load is fairly constant and no more than a couple of watts, the string of zeners (or a single 48V zener) in that circuit will give you decent line and load regulation. It also has the advantage of current limiting, so a short circuit on the output can be tolerated. It's dirt simple, cheap, and meets your requirements. You don't need a fancy voltage regulator, and you would need an LM317H to get a 48 VDC output, and you might also exceed its 60 VDC input maximum.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I suspect you might be able to get by with sufficient filtering, but if you want to try regulation, you need a unit that is rated for the full supply across the regulator, like the TL783 (less than $2 from Digikey).

Keep in mind that you have to start with a supply that stays at least 2 volts above the regulated output, even at the bottom of the ripple and at low line voltage, so you will need a significant extra voltage at the input supply.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to