Need help: headers and connectors for LEDs

I would like to make a light display with many LEDs connected by wires of various lengths. I would like to use some sort of header and connectors to connect the LEDs to the PCB. The LEDs will be controlled by a PIC through shift registers. Each LED can be turned on and off indendently.

I've never used headers or connectors. I was thinking I could use something like a 2-row x 20 header and then use a 2-position molex housing for each LED. How are these connectors fastened to the wires? Do I need a special tool?

Is there a better way to do this?

Duane

Reply to
Duane Wood

something

Design a module with perhaps an 8x8 array of LEDs that has the ability to run as a single unit. Include connectors to edge stack multiple modules and create a communication channel that can address the maximum number of expected modules and synchronize each unit in the display. You should expect to end stack modules as well to create a large array. This will easy the wiring and the processor overhead needed to refresh a large number of lamps. Servicing becomes easier as well.

Reply to
Lord Garth