Mouse sqeaker

I purchased an electronic mouse squeaker for my cat. To activate it, you have to pull a tab between two battieres and she is ready to go. When it is bumped it makes a squeak like a mouse. My question is, how can I re-wire this thing so that it continues to squeak without having to bump it. I have no idea about electronics, can only sauder some wires together. See if you can open these pics.

Thank you for the help, Erik

Reply to
emetzger

I purchased an electronic mouse squeaker for my cat. To activate it, you have to pull a tab between two battieres and she is ready to go. When it is bumped it makes a squeak like a mouse. My question is, how can I re-wire this thing so that it continues to squeak without having to bump it. I have no idea about electronics, can only sauder some wires together. See if you can open these pics.

Thank you for the help, Erik

Without seeing a circuit diagram or actual device all that I can suggest is that you find what makes it squeak and bypass it. From your pictures the board between the halves may be the bump circuit or it may contain "beep" circuitry.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Can you get a better picture of the circuit board in the middle? And is there anything other than just the batteries in the compartment in the left-hand plastic module?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich, Thank you for the help. The compartment is a battery holder only. Here are 2 closer picks. If there us a way to wire this so it will squeak continuously let me know. Laymen terms please. Thank you

emetzger

Got a screwdriver?

Need to confirm that the black cylinder on the other side of the PCB is what I think it is: a switch.

Can you hold the board so that it does not squeek and then short out these two pads with the tip of something metallic? Paperclip? Screwdriver?

You should get one or more squeeks per short. That would be good.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Try tapping bits and see which bit is sensitive to being bumped.

It could be that the loudspeaker doubles as the bump sensor.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Winston, You are the man!!! That worked. Can I drop a dot of sodder on it to connect or do I have to sodder a small wire to each?

Thank you, Erik

Reply to
emetzger

Hi Erik, Glad to see you found a solution. I have a couple of questions. When the toy is bumped; How long does it continue to squeak? Where did you purchase it? Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Whoa there, Erik. I didn't expect it to squeak continuously, just once or a few times as the electronics saw the short made by your screwdriver tip.

Don't be disappointed if you bridge that connection and it does not work as expected.

If it does work, then I fully expected that it *would* squeek continuously. :) [Lame joke attempt]

The best thing would be to solder a really short piece of wire bridging those solder balls together. You *can* bridge with solder but it is a bad habit. I would explain, but you are still awake and I don't want to cure that condition.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston, That is funny. I wouldn't fall asleep, I would start staring out the window. I will try and solder it together with some wire and see what happens.

Mikek, When the toy is bumped it squeaks once and sometimes twice. When I bridge it, the toy squeaks repetitively. It is a cat toy purchased at any big pet store. I have a pic of the package up top. They do have another mouse that when bumped squeaks a cadence and also it's eyes light up. I tried bridging that same gap but it would play the cadence and then stop and when I flipped it over and bridged the two wires that connect the board the sound would run together rapidly without pauses. Kinda annoying. Im looking for rhythmic squeak without having to strike it. Im going to try the first one and see if it will work. Keep ya'll posted.

Thank you

Erik

Reply to
emetzger

Think 'battery life'. The unit is designed to squeak maybe 10 times a day on average. It'll burn through batteries pretty quickly if you boost that to ~90,000 squeaks per day. You might locate some "D" cell holders. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston, Great Idea, I have some D Cell wires I will solder on. Thanks, Erik

Reply to
emetzger

Glad you found your answer, but DAMMIT! IT'S SOLDER, not SODDER!!!!! (the "L" is silent.)

Sorry, but as the Self-Appointed Chief of the Internet Spelling Police, I just couldn't restrain myself; seeing misspellings puts me somewhere between hearing fingernails on the blackboard and getting an ulcer. ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Erik > "I will try and solder it together with some wire and see what Erik > happens."

Erik > "I have some D Cell wires I will solder on."

Patience, dude. This isn't sci.electronics.wizards Yet. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston