motor wiring / Keeps starting and stopping

I have motor that was removed from my furnace when a new furnace was installed. I know the motor is good as I replaced it few years. (2 Y Old). At the time, instead of replacing the motor with a "Furnace" motor for 400 dollars I replaced it with this one for 90 dollars. It worked great until I replaced the furnace.

I thought I would now turn it into a grinding wheel.

I connect up two wires and it starts up and then after a brief moment turns off. eg. Starts for maybe 3 seconds then turns off, this keeps repeating over and over. (I have not grounded the motor yet)

Frankly when I installed the motor and then they removed it I don't remember what it looked like when in situ.

However, there are 3 Wires out of the side of the motor with blade type connectors (Yellow, Black, Brown. )as if it connected to something. Now they go to nothing. There are also two screws there as if they held something.

I recall that some motors, heavy duty motors have Solenoids or maybe Giant Capacitor, or something else, on the side, like a wart, that help it to get started? Am I missing this part. Do you think the furnace people not provide this when they took it out?

If not what are the wires for.

PS can anyone find this motor on line to see if I can see if it is different. I cant find it. Best guess's.

thanks.

Motor. Build in Trenton GE Motors Mod 57722GX

1/4 1/20

115V A2.5/2.3 Type KHC

Reply to
Steve Wolf

So I went to where I bought the motor. The technition said it was a capacitor. But the company doesn't make these any more and he has no specs for them. So has no idea on size. Is there any way to deduce the cap size?

Regards.

Reply to
Steve Wolf

You can deduce the cap size by looking in a Grainger catalog for a similar motor. Your motor is, I think, a two or more speed motor. If you look online there are several people who have posted how to replace furnace motors and capacitors. Surely one of them will have the cap size for your motor. Motors of similar HP will use caps of similar values. I am sure furnace motors are all pretty standard and connect the same way. It just makes servicing easier and cheaper for the folks who are servicing the things. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Thanks I will do some research.

Reply to
Steve Wolf

Success,

I post this for others so if someone else runs into this odd ball motor and needs the info it may help.

The capacitor that seems to work is

GE Genteq Round Capacitor 15 uf MFD 370 Volt Z97F9445 97F9445

Connect the Brown wire to one side and the Black and Yellow to the other. It needs both Yellow and Black to function.

I don't think the orientation matters. There are no markings on the posts to indicate any orientation.

I have run this with no smells or sparks flying out of it, so seems to function properly.

Reply to
Steve Wolf