Modern digital oscilloscopes question

I really like meters with needles. They have the perfect 'human response time' for tweaking things. And it's a direct connection from eye to hand, you don't have to process some number. We still buy them from Hoyt.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I used an old HP RF voltmeter in gradual school. The thing spat out

1/2 the line voltage onto the ground line. We had it floating and if I forgot to turn it off before changing the micorwave plumbing it would 'nibble' on my fingers to remind me. Really nice needle though!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The 610 uses a classic RCA small-signal mosfet in the front end. I got it on ebay for about $150. The manual says to replace the high-ohm resistors every *six months*. I checked it against various high-val resistors and it seems within 10% or so on the high ranges, pretty good considering how many 6-months have probably gone by so far.

John

George Herold a écrit :

Did once a 10^11 GBW preamp (100K-1MHz) with a 200pV/rtHz input noise down to 1.5nV/rtHz at 0.1Hz, has 140dB CMRR and still quite a lot (don't remember the figures) at 1MHz, a few years ago. It also show no thermal tail so that you can look at the nV level errors right after a 10V blast.

Maybe I should sell it too? Wonder what the market for this could be...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Hz CRT

to have

uld be

Cha...

It

Nice! Paralleled BJT's on the input I assume. What was the current noise? Does it go below 100kHz?

I 'cheated' and used opamps. OPA288's at a gain of 10 they have a wiggle a bit beyond 2MHz, so I that's where I rolled 'em off. But very nice otherwise. Well 3nV of voltage noise, so not even close to 0.2nV

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Schooling should be a gradual process ;-)

I still use an HP vector voltmeter.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

A rare ability in this age of "lead people by the hand".

Give me knobs and switches over menu-driven crap every time ;-)

I intend to keep putting up with mine.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

You, me, both.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Walt: Daddy what's gradual school? T. S. Garp: What? Walt: Gradual school. Mommy say's she teaches at gradual school. T. S. Garp: Oh Gradual school is where you go to school and you gradually find out you don't want to go to school anymore.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

Well for me, "It's called gradual school, becasue you gradually decide you don't want to be in school anymore."

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ah thanks, Now I know where I got it from.

It must of 'rang true' when I read it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, it is hard to read a needle to 5 or 6 decimal places.

John

The original novel was from John Irving, who most seem to have forgot, and is always striking to read. Throw the original "Forrest Gump" on there, too.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I figured it out before I went that far. Then I went back because I was being paid to go. I gradually came to the conclusion that I wasn't being paid enough. ;-)

Reply to
krw

But how often is that necessary?

I seldom need more than 3