Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

Got this camera, runs on two AA batteries. I want to eliminate them. I do n
ot want USB, I want to have a three volt walwart, or one that is regulated
down to three volts.

I am not willing take the camera apart but I am willing to modify the cap f
or the batteries which is also the cap for the SD card it takes. I know I w
ill probably have to eliminate the shorting bar which puts the batteries in
 series.

The idea here is to just have connectors that reach the actual connectors a
t the bottom end of it and energize them.

I do not want to short out two AA batteries for obvious reasons, I want to
simply make connectors for it. Should I use wood ? Of course that would req
uire wires to make the connection, I would rather avoid metal. Plus, I have
 a wood lathe at my disposal. (I think)

Or should I go down to the local DIY and just buy wood dowels, of which the
y may or may not have the correct size. Then I have to make the connectors
somehow compatible with the AA batteries.

Any bright ideas ? It is a cheap camera but is all I got and I am not spend
ing money on a new one because I ALMOST know how to work this one. Can't fi
gure out where the flash is in the menu but I will. Finally figured out the
 macrofocus. I want to keep it.

Just to eliminate two AA batteries will not be all that difficult, but the
devil is in the details. I want it reliable and safe. (for the unit, three
volts is not going to hurt me) I will add Zener protection and all that, in
 fact depending on what all I get for it, Zener regulation might be all it
has.

It is a DXG Model 518, and it is old. I do not want to put money into it. I
 need ideas that are simple and cheap. I am almost ready to get the wood la
the fired up and then just figure something out, but there should be someth
ing easier. I will not take the unit apart. I just quit my job because I ca
nnot do that kind of stuff anymore for a few reasons, the biggest of which
is my eyesight. And that is not easily correctable.

I need simple, easy to do and cheap.

Any ideas ?

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

Those dummy cells (Straight through for use with the 3.7v cells) won't do ??

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

** Why ?????????????????????????

FFS all you need are two NiMH AA cells and a means of charging.

I use a regular bench PSU with adjustable current limit for mine and set the limit to 400mA. One could use a resistor instead.

FYI:

The PSU needed to run that camera is not trivial, it will need to be a SMPS and have at least 2 or 3 amps capacity.

Stupid idea.

..... Phil

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

Who cares? jurb is a long-term regular poster here and knows exactly what
he wants to do. It's not for us to question his approach, and doing so
risks de-railing the thread so the OP never gets the answer he needs.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

 ** We need to know the purpose.

** No he isn't - he come along recently and is clearly not right in the head.

 ** That is a barking mad assumption.

** On the contrary - we have every right in the world to do exactly that.

**  Many threads need de-railing.

** He has got plenty of them and then ignored them.

FYI:

It is ALWAYS good to question posters about their actual objective, only by doing so can one offer a better solution or steer them away from bad ones.

It is a fatal mistake to assume expertise on the part of NG posters.

Cos almost none of them have any.

Particularly you.

...... Phil

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

No we do NOT. It's none of your goddamn business.

If there's anyone not right in the head, it's YOU.

Not an assumption at all, you fool. I've read *hundreds* of his postings
to s.e.d.

You have NO such right whatsoever.

Dumkopf.

You don't know that.

GARBAGE.

No such expertise assumed (see above).

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

Sometimes you have to take Phil with a pound of salt. Sometimes you have to tell him to go pound salt.

I am a  long time poster on SER, not here. This is a newer addition to the places I haunt.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
PS and have at least 2 or 3 amps capacity. "

How the hell are they getting that kind of current out of AA batteries ?

Plus, even at that I think I can do this without going SMPS. I got some pre
tty nifty power transistors around somewhere.

And buying rechargables ? You should know what a cheapskate I am. I have ch
anged one leaf on the spring of a truck. I have changed one brake pad on ca
rs and saved the other ones for later, I have never bought two wiper blades
 in my life, I just change the one on the driver's side. Except for food an
d drink everything I buy is used. (eww, that can invoke a nasty mental imag
e if you let it) You should see my junkpile. Things that are so stripped th
ey really should be tossed but I hang on for that one last part I can get o
ut of them.

I might be the sanest person here, and my cheapskatedness is no doubt envir
onmentally friendly.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

** A fresh AA alkaline has a short circuit current over 12 amps.

  Stick your DMM across one.

** You keep on thinking that - sunshine.

** That idea is WAAAYYYYY cheaper than your mad one.

   About US $3, not a penny more.

   You already have means to charge them.

....  Phil

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

I used wood, hand carved (poorly) and thumb-tacks for the contacts.

cameras can want quite high currents, take some measurements: eg replace the shorting bar with
a 500mA fast-blow fuse.

You may need to add a super-capacitor parallel with the input.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

So you have actually done this. I was thinking of wood and actually have a
wood lathe, but whether I can make it much neater is in question. I like th
e thumb tack idea, that was one of the thihgs I was wondering how to deal w
ith, the contacts. Now if I can find some around here that aren't plastic c
oated or whatever. If not I might have to grind a bit.

the shorting bar with
a 500mA fast-blow fuse. "

Phil says more like 2 or 3 amps. I never knew AAs could put out that much.
I never even figured them for 500 mA.

That might be a problem. I can come up with capacitors but I don't want to
have them hanging off the camera. I want to have me a box, and a wire going
 to the camera. I don't care if the box is a bit big and has a heat sink on
 it. But if it is that bad, the resistance of the wire might come into play
 and I certainly don't want to use Romex.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the fuse to survive.

Maybe you can find some with diameter less than 14.5mm.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com prodded the keyboard with:

I did something similar with my Fujitsu camera, it takes four AA
cells.  It got to the point that even with four brand new alkaline
AA's, the camera wouldn't start.  6 volts from a 1 amp psu and the
camera works properly, 5.9 volts and it won't switch on.  After the
lens has extracted the current taken drops to less than 100ma from
the 1 amp start up current.

Two lenghts of 12 mm wood dowel drilled down the centre to take 1.5 mm
diameter wire, fed down the middle and soldered to the tip of a brass
csk wood screw, screwed into the end. No shorting bar needed since
the + / - contacts are at the bottom of the battery holder.  the
camera actually has a small slot for the wires to exit.

Everything works properly with this arangement.
--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

That is one rotten piece of design, then!

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
Cursitor Doom prodded the keyboard with:

I can only agree !  Fujitsu don't want to know and I am told that its
quite a common problem.  It seems that over time, a couple of years,
the voltage required to start the camera goes up.  I checked it again
yesterday and it now wants 6.15 volts to start up.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

I don't know about that brand, but a digital cam I had specified the
rechargables only.  The alkaline and others could not supply enough
current during part of the pix taking process.

The rechargables are different than the others as they can dump a lot of
current for shorp periods of time.  The alkalines can not do that,
especially after a few pix have been taken.  The voltage on the
alkilines goes way down under load after they have only been used a
short period of time.  They may light a flashlight ok,but not work the
camera.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

It's amazing how so much of this badly thought-out stuff gets into
production, quite honestly.

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 21:11:51 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

It isn't all badly thought-out stuff necessarily. there were some
improvements in technology too.  Early charge coupled devices were
power hogs, newer CMOS types require much less power.

The two major types of digital image sensor are CCD and CMOS. A CCD
sensor has one amplifier for all the pixels, while each pixel in a
CMOS active-pixel sensor has its own amplifier.[5] Compared to CCDs,
CMOS sensors use less power.[6] Cameras with a small sensor use a
back-side-illuminated CMOS (BSI-CMOS) sensor. Overall final image
quality is more dependent on the image processing capability of the
camera, than on sensor type.[6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions

I was speaking in general terms. For instance I recently bought some
flush-fitting ceiling lights from B&Q. After I got them home I realised
there was no way to change the bulb inside without going up into the
attic! You could not access them from the room they were installed to
light. And for some unaccountable reason, this brain-child of some
incompetent 'designer' had made it onto the shelves of one of our largest
DIY chains with no one spotting its rather obvious deficiency!

Re: Might Be Stupid, But I Want Soe Opinions
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 14:03:00 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

As engineers we are all critical of just the sort of stuff you
mention.  (don't get me started on microwave ovens or coffee brewers)
But you have to allow for technology to catch up too.  I've still got
one of the old CCD cameras and it does eat batteries but that was a
very common complaint when I was researching and shopping around for a
camera.

I suspect a lot of what passes for "design" in consumer goods is done
by particularly stupid real estate agents or politicians, not
engineers or people that actually have to use the stuff they design.

Site Timeline