measurement of inductive reactance

Hi , It is a general question regarding the measurement of Inductive reactance. If we apply the sine wave means the reactance will be 2*pi* Frequency* Inductance. But if the applied wavefrom is a non sinusoidal one means how to determine the inductive reactance.

Also will the inductace change depends on the applied shape and frequnecy of the input signal? if so can some one explain the details behind that?

I have tried checking these details in the Books but o could not get that. So help me to solve this basics doubts.

Regards, M.Nagarajan.

Reply to
nag

Hi, Nag. Technically, a 20Hz square wave can be seen as the sum of odd integer harmonics (i.e. 20Hz, 3 * 20Hz = 60Hz, 5*20Hz=100Hz, &c).

I would guess you're thinking about that solenoid you're trying to drive at 20Hz. You're overthinking this again. You've got a solenoid you're trying to drive at a high frequency. Your goal is to get the current flowing in the solenoid coil as quickly as possible to turn it on (magnetic force is proportional to current flow, and inductance impedes that), and then get the inductive kick to dissipate as quickly as possible when you turn it off, to stop the magnetic force. Inductance isn't your friend here, but there are things you can do to speed things up. A higer voltage power supply would be the first.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hi, Nag. One more thing. You had a similar conversation on s.e.b. and s.e.d. last March. Your focus solely on the inductance of the solenoid is only seeing half the picture.

A solenoid is an electro-*mechanical* device. That means F=m*a is every bit as important as the L/R time constant. Given a DC current in the coil, you will generate a magnetic force. However, the speed of the solenoid, and the speed of its return, has a top limit dependent on the physical factors involved, too (not only magnetic force, but also stroke length, work required to compress the return spring, and other factors).

By switching, say, a 60V supply and a 200 ohm resistor in series with your solenoid, you'll get the current going very quickly -- an order of magnitude faster than if you were using a 6V supply and switching the solenoid on with a transistor or relay. But it will still take a finite amount of time for the solenoid to pull in. F=ma. And if your solenoid is spring-released (probably your limiting factor), you *will* have to wait for the spring to do its work, even if you use Transzorbs to dissipate the inductive kick quickly. A spring return on a solenoid could easily take 50 or 75ms, which would make 20Hz unrealistic.

There are several ways to get the current going through the inductor more quickly, just as there are ways to dissipate the power of the inductive kick on turn-off more quickly. But you might just want to make sure the solenoid is capable of 20Hz operation before you spend a lot of time on this. I'd assume you're not rolling your own solenoid here, so you might just want to contact the manufacturer of the device and ask.

Also, remember that a solenoid is a wear part. They are usually rated for number of cycles. 20Hz is going to burn through those cycles pretty quickly. If this is an automation application, you might want to consider another method of getting the thing done. Solenoids typically don't work very well for high speed cycling on machines. While you're on the phone with the manufacturer, be sure to ask about rated life.

Feel free to post again. I'd be interested in knowing what you're using your solenoid for. Possibly someone might be able to recommend something better.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hi Chris. The solenoid which i was talking about is similar to Facet solidstate pump. You would have heard about the Facet pump it is a universal one. The operating frequency is 16Hz only. After seeing your reply i wonder how that pump is operating with 16Hz.

But the question i asked regarding the reactance is general one not related with this solenoid.

Also i much intrested in applying the mathematics in the design of electronics like integration, differentiation etc. i could not find any site or books which explians mathematics along with the engineering applications. i expecting this kind of things from a long back since i have not practiced the integration & differentiation and all that much. so only i asked. Also could you help me in this regards?

Regards, M.Nagarajan.

Reply to
nag

Hi, Nag. Since you have a step function input, you can bypass the business of determining impedance of complex waveforms, and just use some basic math. Possibly that will help explain where I'm coming from here, too, saying you might be overthinking this.

This is the first page I found on Google -- you can use this as a frame of reference:

Just as something to ponder, look at this (view in fixed font or M$ Notepad):

See what happens to the time constant and the current when you use a higher battery voltage and a series resistor to take up the slack.

This effect may help you in getting the solenoid to move in as quickly as possible -- and if you're looking at trying to get maximum speed from a solenoid, you need all the help you can get.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris