Making DC battery Power

I asked a question about batteries and DC power adapter a few weeks ago and now I have a small (I hope) dilemma.

I am using the advice of a cordless battery pack and charger to power my wife's yarn spinner. I purchased a charger for a tool I already have to eliminate buying more accessories. Therefore, I bought this second charger >>>

with plans to gut it and wire the two contacts for power, which you'll see here >>>>

The general idea was to remove the wires to the contacts and solder an adapter cord which fits the insert of the spinner, thus, direct power. Upon disassembling the charger, I quickly discovered those contacts are soldered to the circuit board, but also, I was thinking about those three other prongs which the battery makes contact with, which you'll see in these photos >>>

You'll see the two straight-up prongs to the left and the three loop prongs to the right. My plan of direct wire contact is not what I expected and now I'm uncertain how to do this.

Anyone care to offer advice how to achieve my objective?

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

I do not understand the problem. Soldering two wires cannot be that difficult. Of course you need tools like soldering iron, 40/60 solder, and flux.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

What's the problem? You expected to see two wires and see three instead?

When charging batteries - particularly high rate of charge ones (quick charge) OR ones likely to explode if over-heated/over-charged, they will add a temperature sensor to the battery pack to prevent catastrophic failures.

The temperature sensor might need to be present for the charger to work - or some suitable circuit or component substituted to "fool" it into thinking that it is safe to deliver a charge to the battery.

Why didn't you just buy a surplus "wall wart" or some other (laptop for example) power supply? They cost very little and aren't too picky about what they power (providing they can provide the power, volts-amps you need to turn the spinner). The switching regulated ones are very efficient and often include over current protection so if your wife manually stalls the spinner it will just stop without damaging the supply.

Lots of on-line surplus electronics for sale....

Reply to
default

Allow me to elaborate on my objective.

The wife uses an electric yarn spinner, which obviously, already has a power cord w/transformer(120v to 12v). She wants the option of using the spinner without the cord when there isn't an outlet available (ex: Outside). Therefore, I decided to make her a battery powered adapter and choose to use a 12v battery from one of my cordless tools. I purchased an extra charging pack, which you saw in the photo. My plan is to gut the inner components to disable the charging feature and simply use the charging station as a battery holder and power supply. Thus, I need those prongs to remain in the case after I've removed the circuit board. Obviously, I no longer need the circuit board because I don't need it to charge. What I need is a case with the prongs attached to it so I can insert the battery for connection. Since the prongs are part of the circuit board, they won't be available on the case for me to solder wires for the spinner. The only thing I can currently think of is to remove the prongs from the circuit board and adhere them on the case. Then I would solder two wires from a connector which fits her spinner and I'm good to go. Though now, after viewing the three loop prongs, I'm uncertain of their function and how I would wire them along with the other two straight prongs.

I hope I explained it better.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

60/40 The tin is listed first. :)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think I got some of that 40/60 soler. Decades back, I got some solder that sure didn't work, and I soon tossed it. I have no idea if it was somehow a bad batch, or I accidentally bought the wrong kind, it's been so long. But it sure wouldn't solder electronics properly.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Possibly high temperature solder?

At my workplace I had the first place after the entry door. Every now and then somebody would come in and ask for a piece of solder. Then I found some solder which looked almost like normal solder but would melt some 20 degrees higher. Friendly and helpful as I am I generously provided the collegs with what they needed.

Soon that ended.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

As I understand it you will charge the battery in another charger.

You want to use a surplus charger as battery holder only. You don't have to disable the charging feature. Just leave it on its place and add the two wires to the battery contacts, The idling charging circuitry will not take much power off the battery. Maybe one LED will light, cut that off.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

That is correct.

Correct and supply the power to the spinner.

Is it ok to solder the two wires on the underside of the circuit board where the prongs/contacts are?

I assume it's ok to cut the power cord also?

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

--
It's probably a little late for this, but why didn't you just get some
spade connectors to connect the battery to a cable with the other end

I didn't want it to appear like a cheesy rigged contraption with a battery laying down with wires sticking out of it.

Reply to
Meanie

Ooh! lithium ion. that stuff is easily damaged.

the extra contacts are for balancing the cells in the battery during charging, and for monitoring temperature etc... AIUI you don't need them during discharge, but with lithium you can damage the battery if you deplete it too much, I'm not sure how best to protect against that.

easiest way to re-purpose the device is to cut the tracks on the circuit board and solder wires to the underside of the contacts.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Most LiIon battery packs control both charging and discharging. ...Jim Thompson

As someone said, you may cut the traces underneath the print which lead from/to the contact springs. This is 110% safe. I use a carpet knife and/or a small Dremel for that job. Be sure to leave enough trace to mechanically hold the contact springs, cut in a centimeter distance. Also cut the power cord, of course.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

Thank you all for your help.

Reply to
Meanie

Hi All,

I have been reading this thread and just in case I have missed something will some one please point out my error in thinking.

OP said: "My plan is to gut the inner components to disable the charging feature and simply use the charging station as a battery holder and power supply. Thus, I need those prongs to remain in the case after I've removed the circuit board. Obviously, I no longer need the circuit board because I don't need it to charge. What I need is a case with the prongs attached to it so I can insert the battery for connection."

Meanie, how long do you think the battery is going to run the spinner before it needs charging?? Or did you somewhere in your typing, that I have missed, that says you have two(2) chargers and one will re-charge the battery and the other you will be gutting out in order to have it just hold the battery during the time your wife wants to spin under a tree ??

Also, have you determine how long this particular battery is going to run before the spinner just stops spinning?? A few minutes or a few hours??

This all seems rather tedious and a PITA in exchange for not running a simple extension cord.

I can easily say that my wife would be using an extension cord.............. forever. Then again she does not spin so I don't even have to think about it.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yes, I have another charger.

The wife spins on the average of an hour or two, but on rare occasions maybe hit up to 4 to 6, though the hands tire after awhile. The spinner runs at roughly .5Ah A full charged battery could get her 10 to 12 hours, though I'll need to double check the battery amps.

It's rather difficult to find a long enough extension cord if at a park or other place where outlets are none to be found. Besides, the drive to learn and create is always something I love to do and something I think everyone should do as well.

Reply to
Meanie

Depending on your actual run time vs. calculated you may want to consider a AC Inverter so that you can charge the battery in the field.

Is she spinning for show/demostration or spinning and then making clothing etc. for family or for sale?? That many hours of spinning is a lot of wool. :-)

Sorry I had the impression that this was if she wanted do some spinning under the back yard Maple Tree. Sounds like it is a serious endeavor.

I agree, however I do that stuff on a daily basis for my customer base. Doing it around the home seems to strain my brain a bit. Although some times it becomes unavoidlable. :-)

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

That's what she does. She purchases the wool or hair, spins it into yarn then knits clothing. She also has a manual spinners and still uses it, but the electric spinner is compact and easily transportable.

If we had the yard space, she would seriously consider purchasing Angora sheep and rabbits......seriously, that's not a joke. I'm thankful I bought a small home.

Normally, I tend to agree.

Her: "Going out to the gazebo to do some spinning" Me: "Ok, extensions cords are in the garage"

Done!

Unfortunately, as I stated, she goes elsewhere. Besides, she's lazy when it comes to simple endeavors. The damn woman runs several miles a day and works out, yet is too damn lazy to pick up the simplest item.

Yes, I can relate.

Reply to
Meanie

Nuff said, I get it.