Make a handheld Vacuum Cleaner an Anti-Static tool?

out of ABS plastic that must create a lot of static electricity when in operation.

I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.

From another vacuum cleaner (industrial photo-copier maintenance thing) I have a short conductive hose and various end tools, so I'm almost there; but I need to ground something - possibly the hose coupling to the cleaner.

Would that work? Or would the passing air circumvent it, and become charged anyway.

If so, I think I might need to make conductive and internally ground parts of the vacuum cleaner, using metal loaded paint and/or aluminium tape. Work that I want to avoid if possible.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

While I am not 100% sure, I would think that any metal tip on the vac which is well grounded, should work. I'd probably find some pipe and duct tape it to the vac. Then apply a ground wire to it.

Reply to
oldschool

Just do it. Air is not going to zap electronic gear.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Is there static present at the plastic tip? Check it before you get carried away fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

I got a fairly new "scorpion" vac and there is no discernable static charge at the inlet nozzle.

Reply to
default