Mag-Lite Batteries Fail?

I just opened my Mag-lite flash light and found probably acid that had spilled out of one or both batteries. The light was functioning modestly several days ago. How do I clean out the debris? Baking soda in a small amount of water???

Reply to
W. eWatson

That will be OK if they are indeed acid batteries. For alkaline use vinegar or lemon juice.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Lots of warm water, a little soap, and a bottle brush. Rinse and dry.

It's crazy that lots of purchases come with "heavy duty" or "industrial" batteries, which are actually crappy zinc-carbon batteries with horrible shelf lives, and that leak corrosive goo after a year or two. A good alkaline has a

10-year shelf life.
 Click to see the full signature

Radio Shack alkaline.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I'm going to replace them with Energizer Max, alkaline. The others were RS alkaline. Still in the package. I can't see the battery time length. I had some idea that I would return them, if I couldn't get the debris out of the light. However, I'll have to take them out, to check if all works. I think I have some in a radio, so maybe all is not lost.

Reply to
W. eWatson

As Tom said, use vinegar. Put some white vinegar in there and scrub with a bottle brush. Repeat several times to be sure you've got all the crud out. Then wash the vinegar out with isopropyl alcohol.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

shelf

I lost a maglite to a leaked alkaline, something swelled up (perhaps the maglite case) and I couldn't get the cell out with hand tools and a vice.

It probably needs a drill-press or a lathe,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I have x-ray eyes.

The question remains as to how what mixtures of these remedies are required. Baking soda helped. I put in about a teaspoon, and filled the handle with water. It did help, but still plenty left. I tried about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and filled the handle with water. Not real effective.

Reply to
W. eWatson

I've not had a cell stuck, but I've had good success using ordinary soda water (or Sprite, in a pinch :-) Soda water is preferred, since there's no sugar/sweetener. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If the batteries have swollen, no amount of baking soda or lemon juice is going to get them back to the right size. If they're name-brand (the bunny or the copper top), send the whole shootin' match back for a replacement. You paid for the insurance when you bought the batteries.

Reply to
krw