Lubricate coax connection

It's hard to unscrew the coaxial cable from the antenna.

Is there something that can make that easier and minimize corrosion?

I think there is corrosion occurring on the aluminum "arms" of the antenna as well.

AK

Self-amalgamating tape; silicon sealant.

Cursitor Doom

Thanks Mr. Cursitor.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Rub some nice heavy moly grease on the threads maybe. That's good for light bulb sockets too.

Someone told me that WD40 is corrosive, so maybe don't use that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks.

I used some contact cleaner on both male and female connectors.

I noticed a rubber gasket in the female connector.

In the past, I just tightened enuf until my reception looked good. :-)

I made sure to tighten it down real tight.

There is some slight oxidation occurring on the aluminum masts, but it is not affecting the tv reception.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Corrosive WRT what?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I use silicon grease. Make an effort to keep moisture out of connections. Ordinary vinyl electrical tape is good enough for most applications. The outside layers will suffer from sunlight but the inside will survive untouched. Stretch it tight, minimize wrinkles, use several layers.

Pure silicon grease is good because it is inert (doesn't cause corrosion) and stays where it is put without running or evaporating.

"Super Lube 91003 Silicone Dielectric Grease" is what I use.

Good stuff for lubing the ends of compression tubing fittings too for a tight seal and no metallic spalling. Being inert makes it easy on refrigeration compressors too. Silicon caulking is not inert or the same as the pure stuff, it may contain acids.

Reply to
default

Thanks 4 the detailed helpful info.

Reply to