Low Tech Tips for Previous Wars

--
I have no experience with crack, so the judgment call related to the
fantasies elicited by the mix you described is yours, and I do
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

"John Fields"

** Just to get the facts out, the purpose of "swept back " wings is to reduce aerodynamic drag when travelling at close to or above the speed of sound. It mitigates against an effect called "compressibility". So all commercial jets and jet fighters have it - or else go to the extreme of using a delta shaped wing.

Many prop driven planes ( ie DC3s ) had wings with swept back leading edges, along with wings that rise from root to tips. Both these features improve stability, both lateral and roll, at any flying speed.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

over

Just before WWI some top Russian military leaders believed that guns weren't much of an advantage over bayonets. This was 50 years after the U. S. Civil War.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

To me he seems to be implying that most aircraft used in WWII had swept back wings, and that this design was a mistake.

With an opening statement like that it should never have started.

Reply to
fungus

Cool! That Yankee Air Museum is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, right next door to Ann Arbor. I *really* need to get over there and check it out!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v7.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusic generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

"Bob Masta"

** The F86 "Sabre" is one of my favourite jet fighters - mainly because it was the first plane to break the sound barrier. That's right, not Chuck Yeager in the Bell X1 rocket plane, but by a George Welch in a *prototype* F86.

George broke the rules by putting his untested F86 into a vertical dive and producing a sonic boom that dozens heard for miles around. This was about two weeks prior to the Bell going supersonic after being launched from a B29 bomber.

George had made already himself famous during WW2 for being one of the few pilots to engage Japanese Navy planes that attacked Pearl Harbour. He managed to shot down three planes in a sky filled with Mitsubishi Zeros - the events are depicted in the 1970s film " Tora Tora Tora ".

For their trouble, George was about to be court marshalled for taking off without orders when an Gen Hap Arnold stepped in and recommend him for the Medal of Honour instead.

Later he served in New Guinea, shot down nine more Japanese Navy planes, unfortunately got malaria and wound up in hospital in Sydney. There he met a gorgeous, red headed Aussie nurse and she soon became his wife.

Later he flew F86s in the Korean war and downed number of Mig15s.

George received no credit at all for his breaking of the sound barrier and died while flight testing the F100 Super Sabre - when the tail section fell off.

His life story is sensational and would make a terrific movie.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Waay cool! I was not aware of that fact.

My fave F86 movie is The Hunters, w/ Robert Mitchum, 1958. Great dogfight footage and close-ups of F86s with .50 cals ablazzin!

On another sad note, an F86 figured a bit too close in my family's life when a Canadian F86 crashed into a large ice cream parlor during an air show in Sacramento CA in 1972:

Fate took a benevolent hand that day when my mom and brother were heading into that very Farrell's for a treat. At the very last minute, my mom remembered something she'd forgotten to do and she changed her mind. Her and my brother went back to their car and drove out of the parking lot jes minutes before the crash.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you!  I got mine."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
notbob

"notbob" Phil Allison

** Mitcham was a much under rated actor as well.

Ever see the "Enemy Below" ??

BTW: We Aussies built a licensed version of the F86 called the "Avon Sabre".

Rolls Royce Avon engine and 2 x 30mm cannons replaced the original line up.

Flew higher, faster and packed heaps more punch.

Caused a lot of cool hostility from USAF pilots in Korea when the RAAF turned up with them.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So you're not denying LSD & crystal meth then.

Reply to
Ian Field

The RAF license built F86 was built by Canadiar - also a souped up version of the basic American model.

Reply to
Ian Field

AFAIK, the breakthrough that allowed the X1 to fly controllably, supersonically was the modification allowing the whole stabilizer to rotate, rather than having a separate elevator at its trailing edge.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

ROFL!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Tannenberg et al proved them wrong!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

AFAIK that was a British innovation, developed to overcome control surface compressibility at transonic speeds.

Reply to
Ian Field

AIUI, it was a field modification to the X-1, done at Muroc (later to become Edwards) AFB, at the behest of Jack Ridley, the onsite engineer.

Maybe the Brits discovered it independently. The X-1 project was kept under wraps for quite a long time. Nobody knew about the supersonic flight until after someone else claimed to be the first. Quite a lot later.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Miles M52 - project started about mid war and completed by 1946, findings were the foundation stone of the English Electric Lightening intercepter:

Ian Field

--
Nor marijuana, hashish, psilocybin, opium, and alcohol.

And you?
Reply to
John Fields

Not even booze.

Reply to
Ian Field

I had an interesting discussion about that with Chuck Yeager a few years back

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

"Fred Abse"

** The X-1 et alia was built based on designs, test data and wind tunnel models supplied by the British.

As an austerity measure after WW2, the Brits chose to abandon the idea of a SS fighter project - an absurd move that gave the US the lead in jet engines and jet fighters.

** Leaked to the press about 5 weeks later, then given a blaze of publicity.

When F86s started breaking the barrier regularly, the game was up.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison