Low Frequency Sound Thingy

Hiya, I'm just trying to get into the world of electronics as a fun hobby, and I'm looking to make somthing, yet I havnt found a guide anywhere I'm making a small device where its only purpose it to emit a low frequency hum out of a speaker, with an adjustable volume control. I'm not sure how to go about making this, as my experience is very limited. If anyone can give me a parts list, or a guide, or a link to a resource, would be very helpfull.

Thanks,

-Ju

Reply to
jubodicstw

Hi, Ju. Try a 555 IC Timer with a small 8 ohm speaker. Look at the bottom of this page for suggested circuits:

Try the circuit in Fig. 6 at the bottom of the page. You can get everything you need from Radio Shack or just about any electronics hobbyist source.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

If you simply want a low frequency audio signal, the and digital audio oscillator will work, as Chris describes the 555 timer/oscillator.

However any digital oscillator is going to have a square wave output and will sound more like clicks instead of a hum.

For a sine wave output, you can to with a Wein Bridge oscillator or a digital oscillator with the appropriate followup stages.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

--
About the simplest way I can think of to do that is to get a
low-voltage transformer and a pot and hook the speaker up like this:

View in Courier

MAINS>----+ +------+--------+
          | |      |        |
          P|S  [RHEOSTAT]
Reply to
John Fields

I'd be sure to add a fuse to the primary circuit...

Reply to
Greg Neill

--
Good idea.

Since the maximum reflected current from the load is going to be

           / VsĀ²\\
          | ---- |
           \\ Rl /
    IP = ---------- =  0.00417A,
             Vp

That\'s gonna be a _small_ fuse!!!

Since the only thing that\'s ever going to happen in there is
probably a catastrophic failure, I\'d use something like a 1/10 amp
3AG in case that ever happened.
Reply to
John Fields

Hmmm. The SB2812-1218 transformer is an 18V secondary if its series connected, 9V if parallel. Maybe the SB2812-1204, parallel connected, would be a better choice?

Reply to
Greg Neill

--
Yup.

I know I was looking for the lowest voltage secondary I could find,
and I found one, but I transcribed the part number from the top row
of the second column instead of the first.

Thanks,
Reply to
John Fields

Heck, when I was his age I just plugged my 2K headphone into Mom's sewing machine cord. It was a little loud, however; the whole rest of the family showed up in about two seconds, wondering what the buzz was all about. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yup. Page 5: