Low Alternator Output In the Desert Heat

Everything is OK when the headlights and blower are off on hot summer days and everything is OK on cool winter nights when the headlights and blower are on.

Early evenings when the temperature is still above 45 C the engine starts to run slightly rough with the lights on. The additional load of the blower, maybe a total of ~ 26 amps, causes it to really sputter or shut down the engine altogether.

A diode in the rectifier probably cannot take the 70 C heat under the hood and the voltage drops enough to disrupt the ignition system.

Two solutions: a new alternator or LED headlights. Instead of 18 amps LEDs only draw 4. Both cost about the same in parts and time.

The LEDs may last longer and have the added advantage that it's no longer a big deal if the lights are left on overnight.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Huh? Sounds like something more serious. My ignition system designs run down to ~4V! Maybe it's a fuel injection failure? I had some funny business with the previous Q45... turned out to be a clogged filter at the electric fuel pump. ...Jim Thompson

I thought that was the problem too for awhile but replacing the filter [cheap fast and easy] had no effect.

What works is (a) cool weather and (b) low load on the alternator.

The "module" in the distributor may be compromised too but that doesn't change the fact that the system works with low load.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

They make a teater for fuel pump pressure for that.

The filter you changed is only part of the story, there is a screen in the tank that also can get clogged.

Monitor the battery voltage. Most cars, if the battery boltage goes too low will not go onto closed loop operation. This is not because it cannot do it, usually it can. It is a protection thing.

Also, some of these engines now pull more current to run than to start.

The key indicator here is the battery voltage. Check that.

Reply to
jurb6006

Also, car alternators are set up to put out slightly less in high heat.

Reply to
jurb6006

Is that to save the battery?

If so then it works. I get 6 years out of a cheap battery.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Really? I didn't know you were expert in alternator design. ...Jim Thompson

I might have put that rong. They are made to put out more in the cold becau se of the change in the battery's characteristics.

Alot went into figuring all that out and quite frankly I do not know all of it. But lead acid batteries have different characteristics at different te mperatures. And they had to thing about cold cranking amps as well, especia lly bacvk in the 1970s when assholes like me had 455 engine with 12:1 compr ession rtios nd wanted to go now when it ws zero degrees outside and I hadn 't changed the oil in two years.

Reply to
jurb6006

I thought you had me killfiled !

Anyway, not really an expert on the design, but somewhat on the operation o f the device. Though I DO know the design.

What's more, the design has changed. Back in the 1970s they would work into a dmanear short circuit and be fine. Now when you buy a new one it says to make sure the battery is charged. That means charge the battery before sta rting the car, DO NOT just jump start it and let the alternator charge the battery. It will fry it out because you know, less is more. We had 60 amp a lternators that worked way back and now we got supposedly 200 amp alternato rs that will burn right up if the battery is dead. You know math, and you k now how it has changed. Less is more. You get less, and it is more money. A nd cars use more power running than starting these days. I think that is ri diculous.

So you didn't like my little political rant eh ? Why ?

Reply to
jurb6006

I had a problem like that with my old Toyota Land Cruiser. The problem turned out to be rusted diodes in the alternator. They were pressed in place and managed to rust between the aluminum and zinc coated steel of the diodes. Temperature had everything to do with how well they made contact with the alternator casting.

I got a used salvaged alternator with some good diodes in it.

Reply to
default

your battery is most likely getting old.., can't handle the short duration of current loading and the alternator is seeing too many dips in the AC cycle coming out and screwing up the regulator control.

It's a common problem, maybe not be yours but something to think about. Regulators on alternators in most systems these days react early into the cycle to deduce the chance of peak voltage exceeding a device handling. This also drops the average charge abilities too.

If you have a scope you can see this on the screen as a small ripple at the battery, if that is the case.

Then again, one diode not working properly can also cause some issues, but that you can also see on the scope.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Hah, I had a similar issue with the battery/ electrical system in my "farm" truck. In one of the electrical connections to the battery someone had put the steel lock washer between the two contacts rather than on top to them. Several years later the corrosion made the resistance enough to cause issues.

I still remember trouble shooting it a wondering why the "f" there was a ~0.5 V drop across the connection.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold