Looking for a tube only radio or radio kit

Looking for a tube only radio or radio kit AM or FM or AM FM More than standard broadcast range is desirable.

Reply to
Dan

Radiation hardened?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

What does it matter. No transmitters will be on.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

?

Reply to
mrdarrett

One of those was the first shortwave rcvr I built long time ago! Worked great! I was amazed, there's voices in the air you can't hear!

Reply to
sdeyoreo

The R-390 is a pretty nice receiver, all frequencies from near zero to 30 MHz. They are snapped up by hams and collectors, so they get quite expensive. The R-392 has the same range, but is much simpler. It runs off

28 V DC, as both the filament and plate supply.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you live near a city, there is probably an antique radio club in it. The one in Baltimore has, iirc, monthly meetings and

RADIOACTIVITY 2016 and the TUBE COLLECTOR's ASSOCIATION Annual Meet

06/23/2016 | RadioActivity 2016 Location: Timonium, MD; Type: ARRL Hamfest Sponsor: Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club Website:
Swap Meet 8AM, Saturday Learn More

At RadioActivity there are people selling restored radios with wooden cabinets and simple tube radios from the 60's. I went one year and I think I paid $10 for one, hoping it would get a DC station maybe 35 miles away. I can never tell in advance which radios will get it. Brand name doesn't seem to matter.

RadioActivity 2016

HAMFEST/CONVENTION

06/23/2016

Start Date: 06/23/2016 End Date: 06/25/2016 Location: Holiday Inn

9615 Deereco Road Timonium, MD Website:
Sponsor: Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club Type: ARRL Hamfest Talk-In: None Public Contact: Bruce , KA3EIE 10 Route 99 Woodstock, MD 21163 Phone: 410-461- Email: snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net
Reply to
Micky

You can build a single-tube regenerative set that, if designed and constructed carefully, will have much better performance over the AM and AM shortwave bands than many commercially available superhets.

Reply to
bitrex

Any kits available these days will probably be expensive.

There's plenty of simple circuits online and tubes can be salvaged from gear that turns up at flea markets.

Reply to
Ian Field

I tried finding one that used transistors and no all-in-one radio chip, and turned up nothing.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ebay has some AM transistor radio kits, i.e., unbuilt

as well as a variety of tube radios (AM, AM-FM. & AM-FM-SW), all built

and some AM tube kits

one of which - a 7 tube AM radio - for $9 features:

two in the discharge standard circuit; Modulated at 465KHz Plastic shell for the new material, and never go back to feeding. Each test port circuit Ic levels. Schematics, assembly drawings, and the other parts list, technical documents are complete.

Despite the description, it uses transistors, not tubes.

Reply to
Bennett Price

Probably something lost in the translation. Just as in England instead of tubes they would be called valves.

Could be the instructions are also in Chineese.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Parts list and notes on the schematic are in Chinese (though parts within the schematic are Roman, C1, R5, etc. Transistors are labeled V1, V2, etc.)

Since the plastic case never needs feeding there is some slight likelihood of a translation problem.

Bennett

You got a laugh out of me.

Reply to
axolotyl

I noticed that, but that's good. It means I can go out of town without worrying who is feeding my case.

Reply to
Micky

It also says Power: 3V (5 batteries)

That seems interesting.