Links for DIY boost convertor and Joule Thief

I'm trying to learn about these. I thought I would share.

Chuck Roberts

I bought a few of the step up and step down ones from China off ebay. Interisting to play with. They seem to act almost like a DC transformer in that if you set the output to a certain voltage and load and vari the input voltage , the current drawn will go up and down in the opposit direction.

They seem to hold the output voltage almost constant when the input voltage is varied over a large range.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yep, I'm playing with the various voltage boosters too. I can boost 2AA at .5v each (total 1vdc) to 5vdc, then reduce to 3.3vdc to run an LED. Current works just fine too.

Reply to
Chuck Roberts

Joule thief? In my youth we called that a "blocking oscillator." I had one operating a speaker on my bicycle as a horn, they were in all TV sets too in the vertical deflection circuits. (the vertical and horizontal were designed to be free-running oscillators in case the sync was lost so they didn't burn the phosphors in the CRTs)

Reply to
default