Keylock switch for coax?

I have spent time trying to Google this question, without much success. I am not an electronics whiz, but I am a computer tech and made my own fan speed controls and the like before such became so cheap to buy instead of build. I am trying to devise a way to build a key lock switch to interrupt the CATV signal to certain rooms in the house with TV's that don't have decent parental controls on them to prevent my children from abusing their TV privileges. I have found such a devices on line to interrupt service based on tokens, or a full lock-out, but it won't work well in my home data and CATV master control box recessed in the wall in the master bedroom closet...putting it in the closet will also reduce the chance the control box could be bypassed easily. I have a vague idea that I think MIGHT work, but I really could use someone with real electronics knowledge to provide some pointers or suggestions. I have worked with transistors, LEDS, heat shrink tubing, potentiometers and etc building my on fan control panels for my PC's when I had time to tinker with over-clocking, so I can use a soldering gun and a meter fairly well. And I wired my home with CAT5 and coax to each room. I just need some guidance to get me started, because I am not even sure of the calculations involved to run a CATV signal through a mechanical switch.

ANY tips or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
john.peeler

You can add a 75 ohm resistor in series with the signal to the switch since it works 'backwards'. It'll be a mismatch but I imagine it'll be close enough. If you want to get fancy, add one switch to each output of a 4 or 5 way splitter that feeds the rooms to be controlled.

If you can find switches that have the Key removable in OFF position that's even easier.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed, a hint of what to start looking for and thinking about. Of course, any other advice or suggestions is also welcome, but this tells me where to start. The switch for each output is also a good idea, and I imagine I will be glad I ran RG6 instead of RG59, even though it was harder to work with.

-John

Reply to
john.peeler

How about putting a non-keylock switch inside a locked box? It seems to me that using a switch not designed for impedance-matched 75-ohm circuits could result in reflections and such, leading to bad reception (ghosting?). Googling for "75 ohm switch" turns up plenty of cheap switches with F-type connectors, which are presumably the connectors you have on your coax already. It shouldn't be too hard to find a small lockable wiring-panel box and put the switch inside.

Actually, it looks like MPJA might have exactly what you want, no locked box required:

Scroll down to "Deluxe locking A/B switch".

On the other hand, careful that you don't change your kids' perception of the situation from "should I disobey my parents and watch TV?" to "Here is an interesting technical challenge, and if I solve it I get to watch TV as a reward" :-)

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

A much simpler, and much better for the kids, solution is to just remove the tv if the kids defy your directions re watching. And if your kids are that disobedient you have much bigger problems than figgering out switches etc

David - who would impose a c> I have spent time trying to Google this question, without much

Reply to
quietguy

Parental control options are a selling point used by cable tv providers. If you haven't already done so, you might ask your cable company, they might have something that is ready-to-use for your needs.

Reply to
Grostle News