jfet

Good, people are still introducing jfets.

http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=NSVJ3910SB3&featured=featured

Good Gm, 15 cents, and "low noise", whatever they mean by that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: jfet

Huh, designed for AM/FM radio, how big is that market?
George H.

Re: jfet

** About 80 million units per year, one in each new car.

....  Phil

Re: jfet
George H. "

There is another thing or two they can do that no other semiconductor will.

Re: jfet

Anything for consumer equipment has the potential to be massive.

Lots of linear ICs have faded over the decades, especially communication
type devices, but the ICs intended for consumer am/fm radios seem to have
fairly long staying power.  Especially since they often aren't seen in
hobby circles.

I suppose AM/FM radios are dwindling now, but certainly they've been a big
thing in the past.  In the old days, car radios used to bring the antenna
to the top of a tuned circuit, a very high impedance point.  But the car
radios of more recent design that I've looked at used an "active antenna"
type circuit, use an FET to provide a high impedance load to the whip
antenna, and then transform it down to a lower impedance.  So that has to
be common to most car radios, at least up to recent times.

It is changing, my Sansa Fuze MP3 player is about 7 years old, if not
older, and it can't have a traditional radio inside, there's not enough
room.  So I'm assuming an IC intended for the purpose of AM/FM radio, and
probably turning to digital process somewhere along the line.  And it's a
pretty good receiver.  And since portable shortwave receivers have been
going that way for most of a decade now, I assume car radios and many a
portable am/fm radio are going that way, a single IC for the purpose and
not many external components.  Not sure they'd need jfets, but maybe they
still need it for the "active antenna".

   Michael

Site Timeline