Isolation xformer question (again)

of course it is..

My low budget owen tool box hand scope claims to have both inputs isolated, including the commons.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I think your story is apocryphal. I started riding in 1971 and almost always wore a helmet, even though it was not required. I wasn't really more careful when riding without one, didn't go any slower. However, I started rock climbing seriously when I was about 14. All free climbing. No protection. At first because I couldn't afford ropes and all the other hardware. Then later because it was challenging. A friend of mine with wealthy folks got all the ropes and other gear and we went out climbing. I amazed myself at the risks I was now willing to take when I had some protection. Then I got a little scared when I realized that even with protection used properly I was risking falls that would still have broken many bones. I went back to free climbing. I had a friend who was taller than I and had about four inches longer reach with his hands and maybe 10 inches longer with his feet. When he lead on a climb he would look for spots that were just at his limit so that I would have to jump a little because I couldn't reach. That sure was fun and risky. Eric

Reply to
etpm

On the subject of rock climbing (bot NOT electronics!), I recall that top-roping was a wonderful way to learn and practice risky moves. For those who've never done this, you usually have a smallish cliff with the rope going from the climber's harness, up through a carabiner at the top and back down to a spotter / belayer on the ground who has a braking device and an anchor (especially if he's lighter than the climber).

The belayer is ready to "catch" the climber if he falls. (That's why you don't want a tall cliff... you want the belayer to be able to see what's going on.) The climber, when attempting a particularly risky move, can call out "watch me!" for added assurance.

This allows you to try things beyond your comfort zone. There's also an elated feeling of having cheated death when you miss, and only fall a couple of feet before finding yourself magically suspended in space like an angel in the Christmas play!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v9.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I tended towards risky behavior when I was young and I was glad I realized that rock climbing with protection was for me something that would have led to a bad fall. I was climbing over 40 years ago and protection systems were not as near as sophisticated as they are today. I still miss the exhilaration of standing on the small area at the top of a high rock and looking all around. Eric

Reply to
etpm

While this is true, it's also correct to state that most folks don't get their fatal electic shock at the test bench within minutes of fussing with an isolation transformer.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader