Interface between Sat phone and PC SW?

Is there a way of connecting a Windows PC to a satellite phone so that the following can be done from software running on the PC:

  1. Remotely control the satellite phone from software on the PC (i.e. answe r call, hang up call, adjust speaker volume, adjust mic sensitivity etc)
  2. Receive speaker audio stream as a digital 16-bit signed PCM mono audio s tream.
  3. Send 16-bit signed PCM mono audio stream to satellite phone. This audio stream would replace the audio from the satellite phone's microphone.
  4. Software on PC receives signaling events/messages from the satellite pho ne (such as inbound call event)

So...long story short...I'm looking for some kind of HW which can act as "c ommunication link" between a PC and a satellite phone - so that item 1-4 be comes possible.

....or put more elegantly...I want the SW on the PC to be an "extension int erface" or "virtual phone" to the sat phone so that the user can operate th e phone from a GUI on the PC and instead of having to speak into the sat ph one's mic (when on a call), he can just speak into the mic of the PC headse t he's wearing...and audio that would normally come out of the sat phone's speaker will instead come out of the speaker on the PC headset. So I need t o have some signaling going back and forth between the PC SW and the sat ph one and the audio also needs to be re-routed somehow.

Thanks!

Reply to
mjames2393

Impossible to answer that question without knowing what the phone is.

Does the phone have an interface on it that can be connected to a PC? It is USB, RS232 or something else?

Even if the phone can physically be connected to the PC does it need some kind of driver to allow the PC to 'talk' to it?

For example I remember old Motorola flip phones needing a specific driver and software from Motorola in order to interface with a PC.

The manufacturer of the phone would likely be the best and only way of finding out what kind of cable and software is needed to interface the phone with a PC the way you describe.

Best to contact them.

S.

Reply to
ssinzig

I haven't selected a specific phone yet. It doesn't have to be a traditional sat phone. As long as the device can place sat phone calls and its interface can be accessed and remotely controlled then it's all good.

Reply to
mjames2393

Iridium sells "transceivers" that look like they talk to the satellites and then give you a serial port that can do voice and data. One example is here

and the top-level transciever page is here - it includes third-party products as well:

I've never tried to integrate one of these things; I just Googled them up. If you want to buy this as a ready-made solution, you might ask Iridium's salescritters; it may already exist.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds