Insulated Rubber Backing

I need a rubber backing material for some low voltage electrical contacts because there has to be a slight give when the contacts come together, and I was hoping to get recommendations on what kind of rubber to use. (The voltages will be in the order of +5, -5, +12. -12, & +24).

I was looking at rubbers made for gaskets and I'm trying to decide between Nitrile, Styrene Butadiene/Natural Rubber blend, and generic cork rubber..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Probably depends mostly on the hardness of the rubber. Nitrile and the blend both come in various hardnesses. The cork rubber may also. I'll bet the cork absorbs water. ERS

Reply to
etpm

With high voltages come corona discharge, ozone, and the contact-closure area will give off UV. I'd think in terms of silicones, just for chemical stability.

Reply to
whit3rd

Could you explain more about why you need the contacts to "give" when closed? You would not want to disturb the wiping action of the contacts.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

SOUNDS FREAKY...THE LADIES LIKE TROJANS....BOOWAHAHAHA! TGITM

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

It seems that everyone else just uses spring-loaded contacts. my cordless phone, my computers's cpu, my camera flash ...

if you must use something flexible and waterproof "+1" for neutral cure RTV silicone

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It will be a row of 16 contacts and the idea is to make sure that each contact will mate consistently with it's opposite when the top and bottom rows come together.

Nylon blocks serve as the supports over which the contacts are laid, and the I want the thin rubber to go between the blocks and the contacts. This way none of the contacts will separate as a result of vibration.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

OH ALRIGHT, YOU CAN USE THIN PLYABLE HARD PLASTIC, LIKE THEY USED IN STEREO EQUIPMENT AND OTHER PC BOARD / WIRE CONTACT LOCATIONS. IT IS SIMILAR TO THE STUFF USED IN HANGING DISPLAYED PRODUCT PACKAGING NOWADAYS.

TGTI

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

So I gather that you made this contact arrangement. Usually the contacts are held together by springs and the wiper arm is spring material and arranged so that the contacts slide as they contact. Thin rubber supplying the closure force in quite unorthodox.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

2,
Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

Just find and buy some of the 1mm thick 3M VHB tape.

Most of what I could hunt up is foam, but I had some I got at the grocery that was clear polymer with sticky on both sides. at 1 mm thick, it would make a nice cushion for you.

Reply to
SoothSayer

k,

Ok, I'll look into that.