Increasing current handling of PWM motor controller

Hi,

I have a nifty little motor controller for Arduino that can handle 12v DC motors up to about 1amp. I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the current handling ability by adding some hi power transistors and a few resistors to the output stage?

I'm not really that knowledgeable on circuit design, but I was thinking that with a couple of resistors to adjust the output of the motor controller from 12v down to a suitable range of voltage (and current) for Vbe/Ib, then this could be used to trigger a larger transistor that can handle switching more than one amp.

Is it really that simple? Or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance - all help greatly appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus