intensive

technology,

calls you

and

reactor

smart

keep

back

Data systems always have single points of failure.

More cost... you'd have to know the expected Erlang type figures, yadda...

See my comments about "reliability" above ( wrt labor ) .

already

Meh? They were $10 an hour jobs. A quick Google shows $38k for Union New Jersey.

Okay then. I am taking what I was told by somebody who was a consultant used by the entire industry. And again, I was surprised.

Beats me. 17 year payback. Woohoo!

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

read from

intensive

technology,

able

calls you

thing and

reactor

rates

smart

decade

keep

the

back

How did you come up with that universal truth? A meter reader can get run over by a bus, too. All of them can in the same minute.

In any case, it doesn't matter. Data is not lost.

Some. With your attitude no system would ever work.

So there is NO DIFFERENCE.

already

Municipal, right? Union readers get far more than that. Now add benefits, employment taxes, and all the rest. It'll be double that, at least.

Again, not what we were told, by such an expert.

Not believing it. Ten, I can.

Reply to
krw

but

Erm, ever work on one? it's extremely unusual to find a backhaul to a store and forward system that ain't got one backhoe-ready day-ruiner.

"You guys really need a diversity link for that." They almost never do.... although to be fair, it's usually not that hard to add one after the fact. These days, a wireless backhaul is very easy and not that much money.

There was a gas station in Plano I finally stopped going to after they were down for three visits in a row over a three week period. I bet it was a $50 to $100k a day station ( 20 fueling points, always busy ) made useless by a "business class" DSL backhaul with no doubt lousy media... I looked - it was a DSL modem.

Hopefully.

Then yer mom! :)

I am just making idle conversation. There's no "attitude" here.

yes, there is. A meter reader outage is much smaller than the Big Concentrator going down.

I dunno - do you have cable? I bet it's close to 1% outage annually, and that's something we pay more for than what an AMR node could afford.

already

Not sure.

yeah, could be. Still... union meter readers? Oy. I did not know that.

I would not be surprised if there were a complete spectrum of such experts... a consultant is somebody you hire to tell you what you want to hear.

That was the figure for the non-wireless Itron system ( which looked like the only one that met spec ) on the PDF I linked to. 17 years.

If it goes into wider deployment, then yeah - I bet that bends the cost curve a little. Depends on how nimble the vendor is.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

but

Non-answer noted.

Usually, almost,... Now there are some real absolutes.

Good grief.

If by some small chance it is, it's not like the end of the world. It's not even critical data. No lives are hanging by a thread.

No, you're making no sense. You seem to just be looking for something to argue. Your absolutes ain't cutting it.

reader

Good grief. You've never seen redundant systems?

Not buying that one either. Outages aren't anywhere near 1%. An outage some time during every 100 days, perhaps.

market

already

Just full of information, huh?

Certainly. Most utilities in collective-bargaining states are.

...but you're immune. Figures.

From one estimate.

This stuff isn't new.

Reply to
krw

Your cable is out 3.65 days a year? I can't believe that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

with=20

sends

taking

put

circuits

an

your

Well it was done like you said 40 + years ago and likely much earlier. Wikipedia shows that was done for most of a century. Most everyone has converted to 240 V or 480 V normal circuits. I was an inspector for such a conversion project about 15 years ago. It was supposed to be the last one in the Lost Angeles area. There is probably some still out there in the rural areas of California. The antifuse was in how the ballast operated, it was fed from a series to multiple transformer.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Random failure, or storm damage?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It has been out two days so far this calendar year.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

And out here, it might go out for a few minutes or a few hours a couple times a year. Maybe one tenth of one percent.

And the Internet feed rarely ever goes out.

So it must have been a head end.

Reply to
TunnelRat

Interesting statement... I wonder whether they'd be more reliable if they were paid more...

--
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Reply to

I don't mean they were bad people - it's just that meters are in funny places, there are dogs, that sort of thing.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I think the PLC (power line communication) is invented by the Soviet Union...

halong

Wiki doesn't say that, but given the obvious advantages for bugs, I wouldn't be at all surprised. They invented bouncing laser beams off embassy windows to pick up conversations inside.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Good point - one I'd overlooked. Lots of strange situations when you're going onto peoples' property...

--
Air is water with holes in it.
Reply to

That's irrelevant, though. No data is lost because of that "outage". This isn't a telephone network rather more of a data network. BTW, this is one area where a RF system would be better (not that it really matters).

Reply to
krw

Thay also invented Jack Daniels.

Reply to
krw

Probably the CIA was doing similar stuff. Hey, the Chinese were naive enough to have a presidential 767 outfitted by a Texas company a few years ago and they discovered dozens of highly sophisticated bugs were installed at no extra cost. Maybe they didn't find them all!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

survive but

So many gas stations had a satellite link for their credit card processing -- marked by a rectanguloid satellite dish with a seemingly low tilt angle. But that likely went out twice a year from the solar transit, assuming nothing catastrophic happened to the satellite.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

but

Dunno if others did that as well, but Amoco certainly did.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

When the city does it, more than likely it's a public safety MESH and they aren't apt to share that.