I got Smart Metered Today

an

they=20

Doubly nonsense. =20

1.) TV/Movie chase scenes are NOT reality. =20 2.) Both the US and the Aussies have pretty well coordinated their wood utility poles standards (also with international standards) pretty well already.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

gas,

something,=20

pipeline=20

get=20

happens=20

process,=20

houses=20

short=20

airborn=20

just=20

99.9%+=20

=20

in

unbalanced=20

of=20

plated=20

to=20

this=20

sends=20

taking=20

=20

circuits=20

an=20

Tim, i respect you in your area of expertise. But you are way out of = your proper expertise here. STFU.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

hard=20

only=20

simple=20

Just once is more than enough to have something like a 25 KVA MG set for real backup. Depending on locale, good luck getting the permits, especially for the proper quarterly testing.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

If a street lamp uses a 600V bulb, how is your stupid claim of how it is set up going to feed that?

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Time to brick it! They're fairly easy to defeat.

The only benefit to smart meters is that they can charge different rates for different times of day more easily than they used t be able to do.

They've been able to read the meters via RF for at least the last decade or so. Didn't require a smart meter to do that.

Soooo, that's not how lighting circuits are ran, ever? Please, do elaborate.

Or if you cannot, then STFU :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Nope. Not the only benefit. Earlier meters could do this as well but smart meters make it more adaptable.

They cost no more than the previous generation. There is no reason to keep the spinning disk meters. Smart meters can also report *directly* to the power company so no meter reader is needed at all.

Reply to
krw

I'd say they mainly reduce the latency of data collection.

You'll always need some guy in a truck to go look at things.

IMO, ( and I looked at this as somebody having to do work in that market in the late '80s ), meter readers don't cost much. They're mainly just unreliable.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I suppose that's a one-time increase in revenue.

No one in the truck needed. They can (not all do, yet) report directly back to the utility.

Every employee is expensive, just in benefits, payroll taxes, and other government mandates.

Reply to
krw

I'm curious, how do those smart meters report directly? BPL? As a ham I object to that. Or is it cell based?

The Brits had a Mars lander. Last heard of, descending on target.

Then nothing.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It varies but often ISM from meter to meter. From the meter mesh to CO it can be radio, cell, or Internet. The city is putting an Internet system so they're tagging along on that (or perhaps verse visa is a better way of looking at it). They already had the system for water meters. Adding the electric meters was a piece of cake. They've already got the right-of-way.

Reply to
krw

I have no actual idea what value it has. Probably just better accuracy.

But if it goes offline? Maybe after a number of years, it'll pay for itself, but for now, no.

Cost *per reading*, if you had a perfectly reliable workforce, was not much. Cost of AMR systems was prohibitive until small, cell-modem based transmission dropped enough.

Notice all the dancing in the line items. The system that works is on a 17 year payback, half an order of magnitude more expensive than the target 3-4 years.

That's one city. I dunno what the finance cost is, but the deployment cost per meter is substantially more than labor cost for a year or four.

I also recall that labor costs were completely recoupable by the utility*. Whether that's true or not now I don't really know, since there's been some measure of electrical deregulation.

*labor as a line item in negotiations with the Corporation Commission on the state of Oklahoma went through without comment every time.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

from

Offline? I don't understand this point.

I'd like to see the numbers from a city (and a private company) that's already installed them. It's hard to believe their labor costs are so low.

Utilities often are more of a cost-plus, rather than a normal corporation. The higher their costs the higher their profit (there's a reason so many employees end up on Unite Way boards).

Reply to
krw

(...)

Oil leak?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Lucas electrical system.

Reply to
tm

from

technology,

you

smart

By "offline", I mean there's some sort of catastrophic failure that keeps it down for a while - a critical base station gets hit by a truck, backhoe, yadda yadda. You could even have very hard to identify RFI problems that knock stuff out.

For fixed/wireline systems, there's even more "opportunity for difficulty".

Not really. One reader reads certainly hundreds and maybe thousands of meters per month.

I had the same reaction - I could have been given bad info, but what I was told is that sensitivity to labor cost is very low.

Exactly. That is changing, though.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

No, it was wired by Lucas.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

from

technology,

you

and

smart

keep

At least some of them use a self-healing mesh topology for the local interconnect. Redundancy in the "head-end" isn't that difficult, either.

I don't see the issue. You're assuming the electrical system will survive but for some reason a data system can't. If that's a worry, add redundancy. It's a lot easier than adding redundancy to the power system. ...and if it can't "call home", it just does it when it can. What happens when the meter reader quits?

...and makes $4000 (up) per month. Many of these jobs are union so that's probably light.

That's not what we were told.

How do you do anything else, with a public monopoly?

Reply to
krw