I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?

At a fundraising event I found a very nice wood box in the electronics
section. It has what appears to be a broken decades old multimeter at
the top, and drawers full of parts below. There are a couple of small
things like switches in there that I know I could use, and a lot of
stuff that probably works but modern versions are smaller and easier to
fit into things.

I'm basically curious if it would be a shame if I discarded any of the
contents. I've got a blog post with photos of the drawer contents here:

https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/03/11/white-elephant-sale

It was labeled as a 1930s "transformer repaare kit", and while I've
never repaired (or "repaared") a transformer, I really can't see it as
being very useful for that task. Well, except the multimeter, once.

Elijah
------
picks up a soldering iron only a few times a year now

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?

If I had that box and removed anything I thought worth keeping, I would
devide the contents up in to what would fit into the post office boxes
that are around $ 6 for priority mail shipping.  Then put them on ebay
for bids starting at $ 1 plus the postage.

You never know what some will buy.  I have put some things on the local
Craigs list that was basically junk for free just so I would not have to
haul it off.  Most of it was picked up in a few days.  Had some old
plastic shutters that I replaced with new ones.  Had 3 people wanting
the old ones.One was a boy scout leader that wanted them for a project.

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?

Maybe, but I expect the hassle to exceed the value. I did find the
crystals on ebay, priced ~$5 "as is". I don't know if anyone is buying
them, though.

Elijah
------
didn't try searching for the other stuff

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:12:31 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded

Those parts are needed for restoring old radios.
You don't "repair" an old radio using new parts,
do a restoration or repair with original parts.

New parts in an old radio make it worthless
for the collector.

w.

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?
says...

I did not notice any of the socalled bumble bee capacitors.  The black
ones with stripes near one end.  Those things are scooped up at high
prices by the audio nuts.

I have some older radio gear for my ham setup.  HOwever I used modern
parts as I just wanted the stuff to work and not for the collector
value.  The outside looks origional and the parts inside make it work
like they did about 70 years ago.

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?

Some of those parts are of use/value, some not. If you cba to ebay it, offer it for free, there are people that can use the stuff.

NT

Re: I got a box of old parts, any chance any of it is useful?

Not a tube guy, so I'd toss the stuff, myself.

Fun tool though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--