Huh? Since When--?

He said "turning" screws, not tightening them. I might possibly believe that the vibrations might loosen screws...

--
I have made mistakes but I have never made the mistake of claiming
that I have never made one.

That's why I specified tightening. He claimed that it was a 'sonic screwdriver', whereas it's just an oscillator driving a resonant piezo. Probably you want a screwdriver to turn both ways....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ah, he didn't specify that this was a *bidirectional* sonic screwdriver... big difference there, you know? With a bidirectional sonic screwdriver, sure you'd get tightening as well as loosening.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy that it could tighten screws, even if it was bidirectional.

--
The absence of labels [in ECL] is probably a good thing.
		-- T. Cheatham

ut

55

tor

ou

ion

the

uce

le

1

at

that

eve

You want proof of concept, take a speaker box (if you can find one) with two screws on it. Place on the box a spaker connected to a frequency generataor and tune up the frequency; at one point-- if the sound is intense enough (i.e "loud") the screws will start to turn upwards. And of course, if the screws are at their top/terminal position to begin with, getting the right freq and the screws will go down-- this of course is easier as you don't hav gravity to contend with. :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

cts but

come

t all

. While

I don't

h so

-- say,

--- the

w piece

ar

tching the

imple

r on an

n't.

don't

is a

of

ost37...

's not a

uce

t!)

That only works for a specific frequency and doesn't work if the input frequency is being frequency modulated. Besides, why add more complications to an already sophisticated circuit that fits in a barely pocket-sized (9 to 11 in.) device? Who wants a foot-long screwdriver?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

but

all

While

don't

say,

the

piece

stretching the

simple

on an

don't

not a

Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?

I have several. But yours isn't one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Everybody knows that vibration can loosen screws--that's what lock washers and torque wrenches are there to prevent.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ut

55

tor

ou

ion

the

uce

le

1

at

that

eve

t -

Hmm not to nit pick... (OK I am nit picking :^) But I as far as I can remember Dr. Who never used his sonic screwdriver for tightening screws.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

rojects but

s become

ome

about all

5 IC. While

IC. I don't

with so

tion

ace--- say,

iver--- the

arrow piece

imilar

stretching the

it simple

rator on an

aren't.

you don't

tion is a

but

but

duce a

ome of

ctly

1 Hz

=3D1#post37...

f it's not a

produce

the

right!)

Yeah it works on the voltage. (not the frequency.) You have to feed it a known amplitude triangle wave. (I'm reply to the OP and not to you Phil... And please correct me if I'm wrong.) The exar does something similar inside.

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold

His maintenance guy had one too. ;)

(I haven't watched a Dr. Who episode since I was a kid. I never watch TV unless I'm stuck in some hotel without a good book, and even then I just find some documentary or in a pinch the weather report. TV is both boring and depressing.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Must not have had the bidirectional model... just my guess, I've never even seen a Dr. Who episode.

--
How many Zen Buddhist does it take to change a light bulb?

Two.  One to change it and one not to change it.
Reply to
Chiron

The original sonic screwdriver was made with vacuum tubes and had space left over. Then again, it was much bigger on the inside than on the outside.

Reply to
fungus

that

h a

about

he 555

ful

sine

. I

ng

of

ilar

e for

nerator

if you

ns.

fiction

in the

produce

ws

s,

while

eople

ry

fro 1

ezo-

tech

-)

so

, that

king that

believe

o.

Yeah Dr. Who was on some afternoon when I was an undergrad. A crowd would gather to watch... which made it fun.

All I watch on TV these days is occasional sports, (corrupted by my Dad, so I=92m a Buffalo fan) and nature/ science shows on PBS with the kids.

I never go anywhere without a book in my possession. With my nose tucked into some trashy novel long lines become enjoyable.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Anyone who needs the proper hand tools. Some of mine are 36", and I have a custom flexible stainless steel 1/8" blade that is 42 inches to reach into equipment to adjust hidden controls. I also have a lot of

1/4" hex extensions and can make any length I need. Have you ever used a 24 foot long drill bit to run wire? I have.
Michael A. Terrell

Like the empty policies of the current administration.

Michael A. Terrell

Just more 'grade F' science fiction. :(

Michael A. Terrell

I've got a 6 footer, absolutely necessary to get thru fire-breaks. But I've never seen a 24 footer ;-) ...Jim Thompson

But that reminds me, I've used 20' sections of PVC pipe to thread wire (and coax and CAT-5) thru my old flat-roofed house... pre-thread the pipe sections with the wire, then shove the PVC from a roof side vent under the insulation to a ceiling cut-out... great fun :-( ...Jim Thompson

A six foot 'Diversibit' and three 6' extensions. We used them when I was teaching people to install alarm systems in the late '70s. They were used to get from the basement to the attic in two story houses, or to drill a straight row of holes in studs to run under a row of windows.

Michael A. Terrell

Not as much as running wire in a department store, over a drop tile celing that's 30 feet off the floor. We had to use rolling scaffolding, and remove some tiles, then the cable was tied to a full roll of Scotch

66 tape, and thrown from hole to hole.
Michael A. Terrell