How to wire 3 terminal green illuminated rocker switch?

I just bought a rocker switch that has 3 terminals. It's rated for

125v on the switch and 12v on the lamp. Trouble is I don't know which terminals are which. I can find lots of pictures on the internet, but no wiring diagram.

http://69.84.145.60/Products/Lighted-Rocker--SPST-15A--at-125V--Lamp-12V--Green__30-552.aspx

Terminals are labelled, with 2 (1 & 2) terminals closer than the third.

Anyone know how I wire this without frying the lamp?

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

If you are going to be messing with electrical stuff, you need to learn how to use a(n ohm) meter.

Reply to
JeffM

OK so I measured the resistance and got 35 ohms between 2 pairs of terminals, but 0 across only one pair - so would these be the terminals to connect the 125v supply to?

This is a (hopefully educated) guess, confirmation would make me feel better.

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

The picture of your switch shows it is an SPST. That means only 2 of the three terminals are connected to the switch contact inside. One of those two terminals is also connected to the the indicator light. The third terminal is connected only to the indicator light.

With your ohmmeter, find the two terminals that measure 0 ohms with the rocker in one position, and open circuit in the other position. Those two terminals are for switching the 125 volts. The remaining terminal (call it terminal C) connects to the indicator bulb inside the switch. Terminal C measures 35 ohms to one of the other terminals, regardless of the rocker switch position. That terminal is connected to the bulb inside the switch. The remaining terminal will measure 35 ohms to terminal C with the rocker in one position, and it will measure open circuit with the rocker in the opposite position.

A "schematic" of your switch looks like this:

/ o o-Bulb-o

The above "schematic" does not necessarily relate to the physical position of the terminals on your switch.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr