How to tell speaker + from -?

In my shop I have a a Pioneer SX-434 radio/amp  for my listening
pleasure. The speakers are mounted high up, screwed to the wall, and
are not easy to get at. I had to disconnect the speaker wires
temporarily from the stereo and stupidly didn't mark the wires for
positive and negative. Is there a way to tell which wires are which
that doesn't involve ladders and me unscrewing the speakers from the
wall?
Thanks,
Eric

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
Turn up the bass, put it in mono and try it both ways. Whichever way has more bass is the right way.

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?

With the speakers facing each other...

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 9:41:54 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot
e:
more bass is the right way.

I second this.

When I was in college a friend helped me install new speakers in my car.  A
fter installing the first speaker, the bass was impressive.  When we instal
led the second one the bass was much less impressive; my friend said I was
"getting used to it."  Then even later when I switched to JUST left OR righ
t channel, the bass was louder.  Dad finally told me one of the speakers wa
s wired backwards.  Yep.

Michael

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?

Play an asymetical signal. One that does not have glide reflection
symmetery, eg: 33% PWM  use a low low frequency so that the cross-over
doesn't mess it up too much.

view the sound on an oscilloscope (or audacity etc)

--
     ?

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 05:46:55 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

O'scope, separate mics, two channels?

I wonder how speaker phase affects our perception of sound.  Assume
both speakers are phased to each other.  Now can human hearing discern
when they are phased correctly for the program material?  I can't, but
maybe there are people who can.

And what happens in a orchestra... the wind section, for instance,
takes great pains to see that they are all playing the same note
frequency-wise before the concert starts, but surely some slight
variations on timing must cause one or the other to be phased slightly
different from the rest of the section.

Damn, back to Google for me.

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?

** Make current pulses in each speaker using a battery, 1.5 V to 6V.

Use a mic or small speaker attached to a pole and view output on a scope.

The resulting asymmetrical sound pulses will be the same polarity when the wiring is correct.

....   Phil

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:13:28 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

How about connecting the speaker leads to a dual-trace scope and
making a pressure pulse in the room. Slam a door. Pop a balloon.
Firecracker.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
Generally, the "+" is near a red dot.

Anyway, the most important is that both speakers are in phas, connected
the same way.

Re: How to tell speaker + from -?
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 9:31:41 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrot
e:

Standing in the center of both speakers, in mono it should sound like its d
irectly in front of you. If the phase is wrong, sound will seem to come fro
m inside your head. If you don't notice and it doesn't bother you , who car
es?

Reversed phase bothers me a LOT.

Site Timeline