How to step down 130 VDC using a LM7812?

How can I step down 130 VDC to 12 VDC using an LM 7812. As the 130 VDC battery pak loses voltage I want to maintain the 12 VDC.

Reply to
soolun

OK Thanks. Can you tell me how to connect the circuit using 24 VDC?

Reply to
soolun

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

You can't. The LM7812 has a maximum input voltage of 35V. To step down from

130VDC to 12VDC you will need either a discrete build linear- or a switching (buck) regulator.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Yes, thanks, I had read the info at that website. I was confused because I had been told to use the LM7812 by someone who I thought was knowledgeable. I am new to this field.

Reply to
soolun

Did you try to find the info at all? Look here:

Tom Biasi

The 7812 has an "IN" (for up to 30 volts pin 1) and an "OUT" (12 volts regulated pin 3). The common (pin 2) or GND is shared between the two. With a battery you won't need the large input capacitor. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

You also need to consider bolting the 7812 to a large heat sink.

You haven't what current you what to supply but for the sake of argument assume that it is 1A.

You have a 24V source and you are delivering 12V. This means that the difference of 12V will be across the 7812. With 1A being supplied this means that 7812 will be disipating 12W (12V x 1A) which will mostly be turned into heat. This may not seem much compared with everyday domestic appliances but for an electronics component it is a lot. Without an effective way to get rid of this unwanted power (heat) the 7812 will cook and probably fail.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

A heat sink is definitely called for. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

The device will draw 50 t0 100 mA.

Reply to