How are PC boards made?

Hi guys:

How are ordinary copper-clad printed circuit boards made? Is the copper deposited onto the substrate by some process, or is it attached as a foil with an adhesive?

Thanks for any replies.

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

Usually the board house buys copper foil clad laminate and etches the unwanted stuff away, then electroplates the bores of the through-holes.

John

OK, but how is the original copper foil attached to the board? Is there an adhesive involved, or is it deposited in a molten or powder state somhow?

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

--
AIUI, the laminate they buy comes with a copper weight of about 1/2
an ounce per square foot, which is what they etch,  and then they

nb

Reply to
notbob

In a nutshell...

Copper foil is glued to a "substrate" board (anything from plastic to teflon, usually fiberglass). The fab shop drills all the holes in it, then plates (usually electrochemically) additional copper over it all (making the foil thicker as well as electically connecting through the holes). Then, a mask is applied over the copper and whatever isn't masked is chemically removed.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Or they pretend to. I almost never get 1 oz or 2 oz when I specify it. On one of my fab drawings, it says

START WITH 2 OZ COPPER

which helps.

John

As far as I know, roll copper foil is epoxied to the laminate, which is usually epoxy-glass. The foil is usually "black oxide" treated on one side to stick better.

For some exotics, generally microwave stuff, the copper is electroplated onto the substrate and not glued. These are usually teflon or polyimide boards, low-loss stuff, and they want both good adhesion and a micro-inch smooth, pure copper surface on both sides of the copper.

John

PC board material has a solid copper foil glued (or otherwise attached) to the fiberglass. When you make your board, any copper that doesn't look like your circuit is etched away.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

--
So does incoming inspection and rejection.
Reply to

And for multilayer boards do they simply epoxy each layer on top of each other layer?

-phaeton

Reply to
/dev/phaeton

Multilayer ( 4 or greater) actually have prepreg (a form of glue) as the outer layer

A typical stack might look like:

Top ------------ 1 oz Cu Prepreg ---------- Inner 1 ----------- 0.5 oz Cu Core ----------- [FR4, typically. Depends on application] Inner 2 ----------- 0.5 oz Cu Prepreg ----------- Bottom ------------ 1 oz Cu

[thicknesses and types of core / prepreg are carefully selected for impedance controlled boards]

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeterSmith1954